Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About the Role
The Design team at Semafor is looking for a part-time Visual-data Editor who will work closely with our team of journalists to conceptualize and create news graphics, including data-visualization and photo editing that illustrate Semafor's reporting.
Work with editors to help lay out approximately 20 newsletters a week, including photo editing, building simple graphics/illustrations and assigning out more complex illustrations and data visualizations, where necessary;
- On average, will require searching for and finding 10+ photos per day;
- Creating 5-10 simple graphic elements per day;
- Assigning and overseeing the creation of 3-4 more complex illustrations and data visualizations a week.
What makes you qualified
- Ability to deliver assets in a fast-paced environment, and ready to iterate based on feedback
- Proactively suggest new ways to support our journalism with visuals
- Work in sync with the Brand design guidelines
- Participate in design dialogue and contribute to our culture
- We’re looking for someone who is truly passionate about the media space
Who you are
Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and have the following skills:
- Incredibly strong and sophisticated design sensibility and attention to detail
- Experience in working with a newsroom
- Ability to iterate on visuals and creatively according to user behavior and data-driven trends
- Comfort with both creative and strategic approaches
- Knowledge of good design foundations, including typography, balance, colors, and composition in general across different outcomes
- Proactively seeks and applies constructive feedback from cross-functional colleagues at all levels
- Deep empathy towards end-users
- Ability to collaborate closely and effectively with internal stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and follow creative direction
This is a part-time role with the opportunity to evolve to a full-time position over time.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits do not apply to freelance or contract work)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law