Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About the Role
We’re looking for a talented video journalist & story editor to help us build a stellar new current events video program. The role involves pitching, assigning, and shaping new video formats and stories from scratch, helping manage a rapidly changing team, and will at times require you to get involved at any step in the video creation process. We’re looking for someone who has shown they have the highest editorial standards, loves giving feedback, and has also spent time in the trenches making multimedia work and isn’t afraid to jump back in. You’ll be working closely with our head of video and editor-in-chief. This multi-talented leader will be chomping at the bit to help shape an international news startup from the launch pad through takeoff, and eager to stretch to make it happen.
In your cover letter, please include at least 3 direct links to videos you’re proud of helping to create, and what your role within them was – at least one that you were responsible for assigning and giving feedback on.
- Pitch, assign and assign videos and series in collaboration with other newsroom leaders.
- Story edit videos, guiding video producers and reporters through the process, upholding our editorial standards, and inspiring people to create their best work.
- Co-manage the budget and schedule of the team with the head of video.
- Collaborate with other elements of the team including the editors, design, and events teams to produce breakout products.
What makes you qualified
- 6 or more years of relevant experience in creating factual, journalistic video from start to finish - including demonstrated work in pitching, writing, shooting, and video editing.
- Management and editing experience in supervising video producers and giving helpful, thoughtful, and efficient story feedback.
- A strong network of other video creators you hope to work with on great stories.
- A strong sense for design; information design & motion graphics experience a big plus.
- Experience in scrappy and/or dynamic environments and willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed.
- A contagious passion for truth and the urgency of current events.
- A soul.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits do not apply to freelance or contract work)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law