Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About this role
Semafor is looking for a General Manager/Head of Digital Operations for its growing global news business. Launching later this year, Semafor is a new global news media brand with offices in New York City, Washington, DC, and London, UK. We will be expanding to other locations around the world in the next two years.
Reporting to the CEO, this critical leadership team role will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of Semafor.com and its distributed social platforms. The role will initially manage product, creative, engineering, audience and analytics leads and be responsible for building audience, engagement and high value monetization across advertising, subscription, e-commerce, and experiential media products, as well as business development and partnerships.
As General Manager, you will:
- Lead the strategic evolution of the Semafor brand.
- Set the strategic roadmap for Semafor’s product, development, branding, and content goals.
- Research and understand user needs and market gaps.
- Identify and develop new product features and engaging user experiences.
- Manage the P&L for Semafor’s digital product, ensuring best focus for optimal growth.
- Determine metrics to evaluate the success of new initiatives and develop continuous improvements to our sites.
- Work closely with content and revenue teams to develop engaging and monetizable content.
- Effectively work cross-functionally (with editors, engineers, UX designers, marketing, sales, etc.) to launch new features.
- Balance strategic projects while maintaining product momentum and launch schedules.
- 10+ year relevant digital media operations experience
- MBA preferred.
- A history of entrepreneurship and building great digital products.
- Proven experience growing and profitably scaling a digital brand.
- Expertise in consumer-facing products with advertising and subscription-based business models.
- Experience managing both programmatic and direct-sales ad revenue.
- Understanding of the news publishing space and a passion for supporting great journalism.
- Obsessive about market research, consumers’ behavior, and marketing techniques.
- Hands-on experience managing engineering in a leadership role.
- Deep knowledge of audience development strategies, including social, paid and partnerships.
- Global experience and an international outlook.
- Proven track record with product go-to-market strategies.
- Strong communication skills and ability to effectively motivate, inspire, and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Resourceful problem-solving skills.
- The ability to form strategic partnerships.
- Vision for the growth and direction of the Semafor brand.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits do not apply to freelance or contract work)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law