Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About the Role
Semafor is seeking a dynamic and ambitious reporter to cover Washington politics. He or she will have the instincts and sources to provide distinctive coverage of the U.S. capital’s politics, players and policies, delivering regular exclusives and deep insights.
The Washington-based position calls for someone with deep knowledge and sourcing in the corridors of power; an instinct and passion for scoops; and the ability to tell stories clearly and quickly. The successful candidate will be part of a team delivering regular insights to Semafor’s audience through the web, newsletters, video, and in-person events.
- Cover Washington politics, people and policy daily with exclusives and insights and identify broader trends and as they develop
- Have a deep understanding of the people and issues and an ability to write quickly and accurately with valuable insight for DC insiders as well as a wider audience
- Stay on top of news while reporting deeper dives and initiative pieces
- Demonstrate expertise and dominance on the beat
- Collaborate closely with the events team and work seamlessly across all of Semafor
What makes you qualified
- 5+ years of relevant journalism experience
- Previous experience and deep sourcing in covering the Capitol Hill or another core Washington beat, and/or demonstrated ability to understand politics and policy issues and report and write about them clearly
- A passion to break news, a commitment to accuracy and a keen attention to detail
- Eagerness to be part of a dynamic work environment demanding initiative, flexibility and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- A strong editorial perspective on what other news outlets are doing well or where they are falling short, and apply those ideas to how Semafor can break through
- Experience working with diverse teams with teammates from many different backgrounds.
- Passion for the media industry and great journalism.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits do not apply to freelance or contract work)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law