Who we are
In our interconnected world, journalism needs to deliver common facts to divergent audiences. Our biggest stories, and greatest crises, are now global: from climate change to pandemics, rising inequality to supply chain disruption, political instability to the influence of social media. Yet global trust in the media is at an all-time low. This moment requires a new approach.
Enter Semafor. We are a team of deeply-experienced journalists and media professionals laser focused on providing a global audience with an unparalleled level of journalistic transparency; through innovative new forms, cutting through the noise of the news cycle with smart, distilled views, and exploring competing perspectives across borders.
Join us and help build a global news platform you can trust.
About the Role
We're looking for a proven, scoop-hungry Business and Finance Reporter to join the Semafor Business team. You would be writing agenda-setting stories for our Business newsletter and helping to produce it. We’re looking for someone who has a track record of sourcing up in and beyond Wall Street and C-suites, has a keen eye for the next big financial story, and smart, insightful views on what you cover. You’ll be a crucial member of our editorial team, and will contribute to making Semafor a must-read for corporate and financial power players. We're looking for a versatile reporter who has broken splashy stories, can spot bigger themes, and has the desire to join something new and ambitious. This position will report directly to the Business & Technology Editor and location is flexible but New York City is preferred.
- Produce regular scoops and smart stories for Semafor Business.
- Be a core part of the Business newsletter production team.
- Help produce the Business newsletter, including putting together charts and other visual elements.
- Build and maintain key sources on Wall Street and beyond.
- Collaborate with other elements of the team, including video, design, and events, to produce breakout products.
Things We’re Looking For
- 5 or more years of relevant experience in finance or business journalism.
- Proven ability to source deeply in complicated organizations, and deliver stories that blend insider knowledge with authoritative "what-it-means" energy for readers.
- Developed a voice and smart takes on the biggest news in finance.
- A comprehensive sense of the competition, and of what the next beat of a big story can be.
- Experience in scrappy and/or dynamic environments and willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed.
- A contagious passion for news in all its forms.
The base salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $120,000.00 - $175,000.00. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law