Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About the Role
We're looking for a proven, scoop-hungry business and finance reporter to join our growing newsroom. You would be contributing both to regular publications and breaking news. We’re looking for someone who has a track record of sourcing up in and beyond Wall Street and C-suites and a keen eye for the next big economic story. You’ll be a crucial member of our editorial team, collaborating closely with the Business and Finance editor and editor-in-chief, and will contribute to making Semafor a must-read for corporate and financial power players. We're looking for a versatile reporter with a track record of pulling off scoopy, splashy stories, an eye for bigger themes and trends to develop into longer-term coverage, and the desire to join something new and ambitious.
- Produce regular — between daily and weekly — stories for our website and newsletters.
- Collaborate with other elements of the team, including video, design, and events, to produce breakout products.
Things We’re Looking For
- 3 or more years of relevant experience in reporting, ideally in finance or business journalism.
- Proven ability to source deeply in complicated organizations, and deliver stories that blend insider knowledge with authoritative "what-it-means" energy for all readers.
- A comprehensive sense of the competition, and of what the next beat of a big story can be.
- Experience in scrappy and/or dynamic environments and willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed.
- A contagious passion for news in all its forms.
- An eagerness to pitch in and be part of a startup
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits do not apply to freelance or contract work)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law