Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About The Role
As Product Designer, you will join a cross-functional news product team that is at the center of these conversations, working with Editorial, Product, Engineering to push the envelope on the news product we bring into the world. We are looking for you to bring your own ideas to the table as well as the ability to expand and evolve existing ideas and take them in new and interesting directions. You will help us create a new media brand from the ground up, developing the building blocks and design language that will scale across each product we build, including web, app, and email newsletters.
- Work with our Creative Director to iterate on the concepts for innovative news products, developing multiple alternative approaches to product problems and keeping usability top of mind.
- Partner closely with Editorial, Product, and Engineering to design elegant and technically feasible solutions.
- Hold a high bar for the Semafor product experience, ensuring our products feel cohesive and considered.
- Support sales and marketing to create brand materials that align with Semafor’s digital products.
- Help create a collaborative and productive design culture as an early member of Semafor’s design team.
- Bring a strong industry perspective on what competitors are doing well or where they are falling short, and how we can break through
What makes you qualified
- 2-3 years of visual and product interaction design experience, including experience in high-growth consumer companies and/or media businesses
- Ability to develop high-quality, production-ready designs with a high degree of independence
- Experience working with and ideally developing design systems
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively on a cross-functional team that includes engineers, editors, product managers and business stakeholders
- Experience working with diverse teams with teammates from many different backgrounds.
- Experience in start-up and/or dynamic work environment demanding flexibility and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- An entrepreneurial drive grounded in an eagerness to learn and grow alongside the company as it continues to scale and evolve.
- Passion for the media industry and great journalism
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits do not apply to freelance or contract work)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law