Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About this Role
As Senior Front End Engineer, you will be working closely with the product and engineering team to execute high quality media products and solutions for our users. You will build the services and tooling to release quality, scalable software products.
This is a full-time position reporting to our Head of Engineering, Mark Wilkie.
- Define best practices for front end development at Semafor.
- Work closely with the product and engineering team to design and execute quality product solutions for our users.
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Work with engineering leads to deploy repeatable, scalable, observable services in the wild.
- Work with product, engineering, and design to evolve our product development processes.
- Bring a strong industry perspective on what competitors are doing well or where they are falling short, and how innovative engineering solutions can help Semafor break through.
- Strong knowledge of html/css.
- Have built and deployed node cloud services.
- A strong focus on page speed and SEO.
Other things we’re looking for
- 5+ years of relevant experience, including experience leading and completing multiple large, successful projects within a high-growth team environment
- Ability to think and communicate concisely at macro and micro levels, from high level strategy to implementation details
- Experience working with diverse teams with teammates from many different backgrounds.
- Clear experience framing & designing engineering solutions which drive high-impact outcomes
- Experience in start-up and/or dynamic work environment demanding flexibility and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- Passion for the media industry and great journalism
Great to have (not required)
- Ad tech experience.
- React Native.
- EFS integrations
- Google Cloud Platform
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits do not apply to freelance or contract work)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law