At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. We make this easy with a single platform that collects, stores, filters, transforms, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. Our goal is to make it easy to understand, extract value, and protect the integrity of data. We are creating a world where engineers spend their time working on their core product, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to take over the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
The Self-Service CX team is a cross-functional team responsible for the health and lifecycle of our self-service business. We are passionate about building the best experiences for our users — from their very first touchpoint signing up with Segment, helping them understand the value of Segment throughout onboarding, all the way to up-sell opportunities into getting them to be paying customers.
You will work side-by-side with other engineers, designers, product managers, and members of our go-to-market team to opportunity size, brainstorm, execute, and detail the results of your work. We’re a team that loves pushing the Segment product forward, delighting our customers, and making an impact on the bottom line of the business!
What We Do:
- We build customer-facing features using React, TypeScript, Apollo, GraphQL, and our open source component library:
- We use a variety of data storage solutions such as Aurora, Redis and ClickHouse.
- We deploy our code multiple times per day using Docker, Terraform, and ECS.
- We’re proud of the code we write, but we’re not dogmatic about methodologies or techniques. We believe building the "right thing" is more important than building things "right".
- We love open source: https://open.segment.com and blogging about things we’ve been building:
- Read about how to
- Read about how Rick and Collin built
- Checkout an built by Achille
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Use your full-stack engineering knowledge to build delightful user experiences and robust engineering systems. You’ll primarily be working in TypeScript, React, Node, and SQL.
- Identifying opportunities for improving the Segment product with data, research, and creativity. We believe the best ideas come from all members of the team, and empower our engineers to be product thinkers.
- Creating re-usable systems and abstractions that help us move fast and iterate quickly. We’re excited about empowering other teams to help them share our passion for product quality and development velocity.
Who We’re Looking for:
- You're proud of the code you write, but you're also pragmatic
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow
- You love taking a variety of scaled product bets, and shipping experiments that benefit our customers and the business.
- You’re excited about bottoms-up product thinking, and cross-functional collaboration.
- You love using data to inform your decisions, but know when to trust your own product sense to ship the best product experience.
- You believe in the power of a delightful, consistent UX, and work closely with design to achieve broad-strokes wins across the product that help our customers.
- 3+ years of professional software development experience.
- You are fluent in HTML / CSS, and can build scalable interfaces that work across a variety of screen-sizes, devices, and data constraints.
- You have expertise in React, and the modern frontend toolchain (Webpack, Babel, Node, etc.)
- You have working knowledge of SQL, and are able to use it to inform product decisions.
- You have familiarity with A/B testing, or are excited about joining a company that cares about using data to help build the best products.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, good database schema design, efficient algorithms and query patterns)
- You value teamwork and agree with the statement that “a team is a group of people who own each others’ decisions”
- Bonus: You’ve worked in a Growth role at a B2B SaaS or consumer company before.