At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
As a Software Engineer on the Marketing Analytics team, you’ll lead the design and building of an analytics system processing billions of events per month, purpose built to help marketers understand the customer experiences they are serving to their customers. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
Who we are:
The Growth Automation team is building a new platform to provide a one stop shop for marketers to build delightful personalized customer experiences across any channel based on a single view of the customer. Orchestrate a customer journey and send emails, sms, push notifications, voice, video, whatsapp, onsite personalization; any channel that the customer prefers most with a relevant message the customer actually wants to see. Our team’s goal is to help Segment customers understand, help, and delight their customers across every first party touchpoint and interaction.
Growth Automation is built on top of the most sophisticated first party customer data platform in the world. Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed realtime and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. We’ve since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform — Segment Audiences for real time audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for real time personalization. Now we are building a growth automation platform.
On top of this platform, we iterate quickly on products and features and learn new things daily — all while writing quality code. We work closely with product and design, and there is a tight feedback loop with customers. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.
What we do:
- We write cost-efficient load-tested data pipelines and compute systems built on top of them.
- We believe in using the best tool for the job. Our ingestion pipelines are written in Go. We write customer facing features using React, NodeJS and GraphQL.
- We load test our pipelines to hundreds of thousands of messages/sec. We then optimize the system’s cost to achieve strong unit economics.
- We believe in open source as a market differentiator: https://open.segment.com
Who we are looking for:
- You thrive in a fast paced and iterative environment. You are driven more by customer impact than technology.
- You love designing and shipping new products as much as iterating on existing ones.
- You're focused, driven, and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow.
- You have experience running services in production and take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring, and error tracking.
- You can design and implement distributed systems solutions that are highly durable and (eventually) consistent.
Projects we’re working on
- Architecting a marketing platform from the ground up on top of our sophisticated customer data platform
- Building an analytics platform to process billions of events per month and surface results and insights in real time
- Building a high volume, low latency pipeline for offloading messages to underlying Twilio/SendGrid messaging APIs
- Surfacing anomalies & automated insights based off of a robust set of messaging data & user interactions
- 4+ years experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language.
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts.
- Well-versed in concurrent programming.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services.
- Desired: Professional experience with Go, NodeJS, and public cloud solutions.
A bit about Segment:
- We started small and have done a lot and have big ambitions.
- We love open source and also support it with paid fellowships and sponsorship.
- People love working at Segment.
- We love talking about what we learned in public and in private.
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our LinkedIn page. We’re excited to meet you!
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
About us (Twilio):
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$146,240 - $182,800
Rest of Colorado:
$127,960 - $159,950
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks