At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. We’ve recently joined forces with Twilio, the world’s leading cloud communication platform that enables businesses to engage customers across all channels, from text to Whatsapp to email and we’re partnering with them to build the customer engagement platform of the future.
The Segment Cloud group is central to Segment’s global expansion strategy. Our mission is to expand our product delivery options to unlock a broader international customer base, large scale customers, and more sensitive industries for Segment. This includes a strong developer platform that can support delivery of our software across a number of different environments and configurations.
As a member of the Segment Cloud group, you will be working with an incredibly talented team of senior engineers and product leads across the company to ship our products. This group is in the unique position of imagining and architecting the next generation(s) of the Segment platform to serve customer needs. If working at the convergence of product and infra is your jam you would feel right at home here.
What you’ll do
- Architect and build the next generation of cloud platform that runs all of Segment’s services
- Build globally available and highly scalable distributed systems
- Collaborate with teams across the R&D org to ensure their services can work on the new platform
- Mentor other engineers on the team on technical architecture and design
- Participate in driving Segment as a market leader in the development of Open Source Software like kafka-go, chamber, kubeapply, etc.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support our business-critical infrastructure
What you’ll bring
- Minimum of 6 years experience as a Software Engineer, Systems Administrator, Operations Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, or another similar role
- A systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with good communication skills, sense of ownership, and drive
- Experience working in a fast paced and iterative environment
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Compute Platform (GCP)
- Experience programming in one or more of the following: Go, Python, Node.js, Bash, or similar languages
We’re especially excited about candidates who:
- Have experience building multi-tenant and hybrid cloud systems
- Have hands-on experience with container orchestration frameworks (e.g. Kubernetes, EKS, ECS)
- Have hands-on experience in operating event-based systems (e.g. Kafka) capable of processing millions of events per second and petabytes of data each month
- Have lead teams, large projects, or been the owner of an important system
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our LinkedIn page. We’re excited to meet you!
As a proud equal opportunity employer, we're committed to hiring top talent regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We don't just accept differences - we celebrate you being who you are for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Tier 4 base salary range: $132,928 - 182,776
Rest of Colorado:
Tier 5 base salary range: $116,312 - 159,929
Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks