Because you belong at Segment Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
As a Backend Software Engineer on the Personas team, you will lead the design and building of pipelines that process hundreds of thousands of requests per second, build real time identity graphs, and compute billions of data points an hour. You will also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
The Personas team is building a new platform to enable the holy grail of customer data — the single view of the customer. Our team’s goal is to help Segment customers gain a higher-level understanding of their end users.
Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands of messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed Realtime and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. We’ve since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform — Segment Audiences for Realtime audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for Realtime personalization.
We operate as a small, fast moving startup within Segment. We iterate quickly on products and features and learn new things daily — all while writing quality code. We work closely with product and design, and there is a tight feedback loop with customers. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.
As a Backend Engineer, our requirements are:
- 5+ years’ experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language.
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts.
- Well-versed in concurrent programming.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services.
- Desired: Professional experience with Go, NodeJS, and public cloud solutions.
Who we are looking for?
- You thrive in a fast paced and iterative environment. You are driven more by customer impact than technology.
- You love designing and shipping new products as much as iterating on existing ones.
- You're focused, driven, and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow.
- You have experience running apps in production and take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring, and error tracking.
- You can design and implement distributed systems solutions that are highly durable and (eventually) consistent.
- We started small and have done a lot and have big ambitions.
- We love open source and also support it with paid fellowships and sponsorship.
- People love working at Segment.
- We love talking about what we learned in public and in private.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our LinkedIn page. We’re excited to meet you!
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.