At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
As a Software Engineer on the Personas team, you’ll lead the design and building of pipelines that process hundreds of thousands of requests per second, build realtime identity graphs, and compute billions of data points an hour. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
Because you belong at Segment
The Who, What, Why, and Where
As a Full Stack Developer (Backend Developers also Included) on our Personas Journey Orchestration team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow and evolve a brand-new product, but also to see your creation used by lots of customers very quickly.
This brand-new product will face enterprise-scale usage very early in its life cycle. We need to nail scale right out of the gate. The design challenges are meaty, and you’ll be expected to work closely with design and research to iterate on a fast-changing product.
You’ll need to understand and articulate the trade-offs between new functionality and stability. You can persuade all involved to make the right architectural choices for the long-term technical and financial health of the product.
- 4+ years experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language
- 3+ years experience in building UI products using frontend frameworks. Ideally significant experience with React
- Strong experience and expertise to build API products - experience with GraphQL, REST and NoSQL databases
- Strong understanding and expertise on UX - you should be able to relate to a UX patterns and how best to build them
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms)
- A highly effective collaborator, you work with your team toward common goals
- Strong customer focus, because the feedback loop with customers will be very tight!
- [WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES] We’ll create beautiful and intuitive customer interfaces for what is essentially a visual programming language for marketers
- [DRAW THE OWL]: Iterate on Personas Journey Orchestration’s web experience in both big and small ways. Build new features and improve performance, usability, and accessibility
- [BE BOLD] We load test our pipelines to hundreds of thousands of messages/sec. We then optimize the system’s cost to achieve strong unit economics
- [EMPOWER OTHERS] You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow
Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed realtime and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. Since we released it a few years ago, we’ve built several successful products on top of the Personas platform — Segment Audiences for realtime audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for realtime personalization. Now, we’re making the next one.
You can work remotely from any state in the US. We generally work Pacific hours, but the team has members across the country (and some in other countries). Around the world, Segment offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
A bit about Segment:
- and have.
- and also support it with paid fellowships and sponsorship.
- People love .
- We love talking about in public and .
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our page. We’re excited to meet you!
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.