At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and to do that, we need the best people to take the market.
As a Sr. Design Manager for our Core product, you’re instrumental in helping us reach that mission. Ideally, you’re a design leader who can influence product roadmap and inspire a team of direct reports towards success. You also mentor and bring out the best in your team by creating opportunities, eliminating roadblocks, and inspiring creativity.
What you'll do:
- Manage, develop, and inspire a team of world-class designers and design leads
- Grow our core product design team as needed to scale with a fast-growing R&D org
- Be an advocate for a diverse, inclusive, and productive work environment
- Be intimately connected to our customers and be a champion and voice of our customers
- Help build an amazing design brand that highlights the awesome work we do
- Guide the team towards best practices for ensuring a high bar of quality and a user experience that will delight our customers
- Ensure design at Segment continues its path as a strategic driver of product work, discovery, and projects
What you'll bring:
- A stellar track record growing designers: you have hired, grown, and inspired designers of varying levels of seniority
- A hunger for cross-functional collaboration: you do your best work when partnering with product, engineering, sales, and more to drive alignment and clarity.
- A passion for solving hard problems: you love getting into the details, as well as building the systems and infrastructure that take our design practice from good to great
- A strong product presence: you are able to swiftly navigate a company building a complex tool with many moving parts, and influence strategy accordingly
- An end-to-end skill set: you possess a strong grounding in everything from product thinking to and solid visual skills to be able to manage end to end design processes
- An advocacy skill set: you can define strategies, ideas and concepts and visualize them in such that they are communicated effectively and compellingly for internal leaders, partners and customers
We'd be especially excited if you have...
- Experience designing for B2B/SaaS tools, or complex technical products
- Experience refining design operational cadence: from how we critique to how we collaborate and have fun
- Excitement about building a world-class design brand!
Okay, last thing. A little bit about our design team...
We are a small but mighty group of about ten. are super into watching a really good movie, and can definitely give you great recommendations there, while are really into Netflix reality shows. And some of us have been pretty productive in this last year indoors by taking up , or you know, . And don’t worry — we’ve brought on quite a few people remotely now, so .
But mostly, we’re a group of people who genuinely enjoy each other’s company and the ability to work on some really cool, complex problems together. You’ll find us hanging out in the same Figma file during a design brainstorm, or trying not to get killed during a team game of Among Us. If a deeply kind, fun, collaborative team sounds like fun to you, well… we encourage you to apply! We’d love to have you.
This may feel like a lot, so we highly encourage you to apply even if you’re not 100% certain you meet all the criteria for this job. If you think you’d be a great fit here, there’s a good chance we will, too.
As a proud equal opportunity employer, we're committed to hiring top talent regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We don't just accept differences - we celebrate you being who you are for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community.