As an Engineering Manager on the Personas team, you’ll lead the teams that design and build pipelines that process hundreds of thousands of requests per second, build realtime identity graphs, and compute billions of data points an hour. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team. You will grow and manage teams of the industry's best and most passionate engineers.
Who we are:
The Personas team is building a new platform to enable the holy grail of customer data — the single view of the customer. Our team’s goal is to help Segment customers gain a higher level understanding of their end users.
Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed realtime and batch computations — and you have the Personas platform. We’ve since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform — Segment Audiences for realtime audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for realtime personalization.
On top of this platform, we iterate quickly on products and features and learn new things daily — all while writing quality code. We work closely with product and design, and there is a tight feedback loop with customers. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.
What we do:
- We write cost-efficient load-tested data pipelines and compute systems built on top of them.
- We believe in using the best tool for the job. Our ingestion pipelines are written in Go. We write customer facing features using React, NodeJS and GraphQL.
- We load test our pipelines to hundreds of thousands of messages/sec. We then optimize the system’s cost to achieve strong unit economics.
- We believe in open source as a market differentiator: https://open.segment.com
Who we are looking for:
- You establish credibility through the quality of your team's technical execution and ownership.
- You lead by example and care for your teams.
- You mentor and develop each employee to reach their full potential.
- You know how to source, recruit, hire and retain talented engineers.
- You have a rare ability to collaborate with and influence diverse engineering teams to improve the reliability, scalability and durability of their services.
- You give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success.
- You know how to manage multiple projects and balance support & development for your teams.
- You have experience running services in production and take software engineering practices seriously.
- You can design and implement distributed systems solutions.
Projects we’re working on
- Reimagining our identity graph system’s architecture to make it more flexible and scalable to meet new customer demands
- Building a high volume, low latency pipeline for syncing updates to user data to hundreds of downstream integration partners.
- Re-architecting our audience computation subsystem to unify the worlds of batch and streaming audience computation.
- Building systems to provide end to end visibility of customer data delivery.
- 3+ years of experience as Technical Lead or Manager of a healthy and high-performing engineering team.
- Experience managing an engineering team(s) on large-scale projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and/or storage.
- Previous operational responsibility for business critical production systems, in a collaborative environment.
- Strong sense of urgency and ownership over critical problem areas.
- CS, EE or CE degree and/or a demonstrable, solid understanding of CS fundamentals.
- Demonstrably effective communicator — in spoken and written forms.
A bit about Segment:
- We started small and have done a lot and have big ambitions.
- We love open source and also support it with paid fellowships and sponsorship.
- People love working at Segment.
- We love talking about what we learned in public and in private.
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our LinkedIn page. We’re excited to meet you!
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.