At Segment, we believe in giving our customers control over all of the most important data for their business - customer data. It all comes down to one core belief: companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, without any fuss. This has been a core philosophy to how we’ve built our products from day one, and we’re excited to take this to the next level to fully realize this promise.
The Segment Storage organization is looking for engineering managers who are passionate about creating high quality, modern solutions to delivering complex engineering efforts and joining our focus to define the future of Customer Data Platforms. In this role, you will be responsible for managing and growing a team of talented engineers and collaborating with Product Managers to ship products that form the foundation of a strong Customer Data Platform.
What we do in the Storage Org:
- Enabling efficient storage and management of customer data to power products like and
- Orchestrating customer data deletion and suppression to ensure Segment and our customers are compliant to regulations like
- Building systems that route customer data to Storage Destinations like Data Warehouses and Data Lakes
- Providing a platform to accelerate Data Science and ML use-case on top of existing Data Warehouses and Data Lakes
- Enabling enrichment of customer data with data from various like Twilio, Salesforce, Zendesk and many more
Who we are looking for:
- You establish credibility through the quality of your team's technical execution and ownership.
- You lead by example and care for your teams.
- You mentor and develop each employee to reach their full potential.
- You know how to source, recruit, hire and retain talented engineers.
- You have a rare ability to collaborate with and influence diverse engineering teams to improve the reliability, scalability and durability of their services.
- You give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success.
- You know how to manage multiple projects and balance support & development for your teams.
- 3+ years of experience as Technical Lead or Manager of a healthy and high-performing engineering team.
- Experience managing an engineering team(s) on large-scale projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and/or storage.
- Previous operational responsibility for business critical production systems, in a collaborative environment.
- Strong sense of urgency and ownership over critical problem areas.
- CS, EE or CE degree and/or a demonstrable, solid understanding of CS fundamentals
- Demonstrably effective communicator — in spoken and written forms.
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure.
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing distributed systems at global scale.
Glimpse of what we do @ Segment Engineering:
- at scale to power product
- Improving product by into AWS Redshift
- Building to improve the reliability of our core data pipeline
- Ditching in our server-side destinations to improve our architecture.
- Performance analysis using () and how we use it.
- for various data formats
- Re-architecting Segment data pipeline to
- and finding product market fit
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our page. We’re excited to meet you!
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, and promotions will happen based on qualifications for the positions being filled regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religious creed, color, national origin ancestry, age, physical disability, pregnancy, mental disability, or medical condition.