At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. We make this easy with a single platform that collects, stores, filters, transforms, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. Our goal is to make it easy to understand, extract value, and protect the integrity of data. We are creating a world where engineers spend their time working on their core product, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to take over the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
Who we are:
We develop our product across a number of teams based in San Francisco, Vancouver and New York each with a particular product feature focus area. From collecting data through to building powerful tools for data governance, to implementing algorithms that can handle complex billing scenarios at scale, to visualizing our customers’ data flow through our pipelines, to making complex implementations manageable for our large enterprise customers, to optimizing Sign Up conversion, our product teams are focused on creating fantastic user experiences. We're looking for talented engineers that are passionate about building world-class experiences that delight our customers.
What We Do:
- We build customer-facing features using React, TypeScript, Apollo, GraphQL, and our open source component library:
- We implement and Kafka.
- l We use a variety of data storage solutions such as Aurora, Redis and ClickHouse.
- We deploy our code multiple times per day using Docker, Terraform, and ECS.
- We’re proud of the code we write, but we’re not dogmatic about methodologies or techniques. We believe building the "right thing" is more important than building things "right". However, we take our customers’ dependence on our systems very seriously and strive to build highly performant and reliable software that are parts of our customers’ core infrastructure.
- We love open source: https://open.segment.com and blogging about things we’ve been building:
- Read about how to
- Read about how Rick and Collin built
- Check out an built by Achille
Who We're Looking For:
You can turn complex business requirements into working software that our customers love to use.
- You're proud of the code you write, but you're also pragmatic.
- You know when it is time to refactor, and when it's time to ship.
- You're focused, driven and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
- You're empathetic, patient and love to help your teammates grow.
- You have experience running apps in production and take software engineering practices seriously.
- You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring and error tracking.
- You are excited about thinking about different stakeholders (internal engineers, partners, enterprise customers) when considering what to build and how to build it.
Projects You Could Work On:
- Helping shape the future of the Segment platform, enabling flexible configuration and extensibility across web, iOS and Android
- Building the next-gen developer experience for customers and partners working on integrations
- Creating powerful UIs for customers to customize every aspect of their integration, from subscriptions to mappings and transformations
- You have experience with a backend language of choice: Golang, Java, Ruby, Python, node.js, etc
- You have some familiarity with Golang or are excited to learn it.
- You have some familiarity with React or are excited to learn it.
- Minimum of 3 years of industry experience in engineering or challenging multi quarter projects you can talk about.
- Mentorship and tech lead experience
- You value teamwork and agree with the statement that “a team is a group of people who own each other's decisions”.
- You are excited about solving problems and not wedded to a particular technology but rather delighting customers whether those are internal engineers, partners, or enterprise customers.
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all requirements listed above. At Segment, we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our page. We’re excited to meet you!
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, and promotions will happen based on qualifications for the positions being filled regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religious creed, color, national origin ancestry, age, physical disability, pregnancy, mental disability, or medical condition.