At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
The Tooling Team’s goal is to empower other teams with effective tooling to accomplish their technical work. We ensure that our shared logging, metrics, and deployment infrastructure are world-class; that our software development process iterates quickly; and that technical operations run smoothly. When you’re blocked on some shared part of the system outside of your team’s expertise, Tooling is the response team that can pull something together to get you working productively again.
Who We Are
We’re a small team of experienced engineers with diverse technical backgrounds. We’re passionate about driving our coworkers’ success and building the next generation of software tooling. If you want to work on distributed systems infrastructure and development practices or you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want to make something that your peers use every day, we’d love for you to join us.
Tooling handles many different areas, so we’re building a diverse team with a wide range of expertise.
What We Do
- We build shared infrastructure and tools to make engineering more productive, reliable, and cost effective.
- We maintain several Segment .
- We work in Go, Terraform and a bit of Node.js.
- Read more about and how we use: and . Or, read our code: , , , , , .
- We manage the tooling and process around development environments, testing, CI, and deployment.
- Read more on our blog about how we use: and .
Who we are looking for:
- You care about simple, practical, reliable, and secure software implementation and the kinds of process needed to produce it.
- You can research a messy, complicated problem and design an approach that makes working in that area easy and consistent.
- You empathize with the rest of your company, listen to them, and take pride in supporting their work.
Projects we’re working on:
- Per-Engineer Dev Environments
- Logging Pipeline Development
- AWS Rate Limit Monitoring
- Application Deployment Improvements
- Self-Hosted CI
- Incident Management Automation
- Large Scale JSON Stream Data Manipulation Tools
- Standardized Metrics and Alerting Infrastructure
- Consistent Runbooks and Documentation
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a software engineer, devops engineer, or site reliability engineer.
- You have experience with AWS, Docker, Go, Node.js, or Terraform.
- You are motivated to support your coworkers and make them productive.
- You are a self-directed problem solver.
- Building tooling for distributed systems development.
- Working on or with a variety of engineering teams.
- Leading teams or projects.
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.