Thousands of companies send their most sensitive data through Segment on a daily basis: personal data, user actions, and sensitive revenue metrics. Those thousands of companies have thousands (even millions) of customers each. Segment, as the platform that connects all customer data to insight, has to protect the sum of it all. That means keeping the data flowing through Segment safe and secure is our highest priority. With security concerns ever-evolving, it’s an incredibly challenging and dynamic environment to work in.
As we add surface area to our product and infrastructure (to keep up with our rapid customer growth), this problem becomes more challenging. You’ll have to not only think about securing the individual pieces of the system, but also how to secure the overall system as it works in concert. We encounter new scale every day, and with these new challenges comes opportunity for leadership.
Our customer data hub is helping companies achieve data nirvana, the blissful state you enter when all of your customer data is clean, complete, and accessible in your data warehouse and various analytics tools. Integrating with the Segment platform enables our customers and partners to access a new class of analytics models and marketing automation experiences. Though we have already thousands of companies being built on top of our analytics platform, we’ve only penetrated less than 1% of the market. We are building toward a world where all customer data is flowing through Segment.
A core part of expanding our business to attack the huge market opportunity we’re sitting on is allowing partners to build on top of our platform. By connecting with the Segment platform partners are able to acquires customers more easily as it allows them to seamlessly integrate with a tool they need with no investment from the customer’s side. However, as we start to allow user defined code to do data mappings we need to make sure we’re doing it in a super secure way. This is a top tier business problem that you as an early Security Engineer at Segment could attack right away!
- Work directly with the senior leadership team to set strategy on security; security is the most important thing happening in engineering and will always have immensely high internal visibility to company leadership
- Think carefully about how partner-submitted integrations are secured and ensure we’re future-proofing against running un-trusted code
- Develop systems for handling keys and application secrets
- Pen-test the website and production hosts
- Find new ways to audit and ensure that our software is patched and totally up to date
- Work with the engineering team to ensure the security of the entire production ecosystem
- Train new engineers, evangelize good security habits, and review all of our systems
- Work on the front lines and hold responsibility for balancing security risk and advancing our product/infrastructure
- You have 2+ years of software engineering experience in a production environment and you are experienced in service-oriented architectures
- You have a degree in Computer Science or related field
- You’ve previously held a security role in a professional environment and you’re capable of being a security subject matter expert on internal security requests
- You are excited to work across the stack on a variety of different security challenges and initiatives
- You have familiarity with AWS, Docker, Golang - huge plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.