Segment is building the future of how companies manage their constantly increasing volume of customer data. We help our customers collect data from a variety of sources, combine and understand that data, and ultimately act on it to give their users a better experience.
Imagine you want to answer a question that is core to your business — maybe you changed the pricing on your product and you want to understand if that’s driving revenue or creating churn and customer confusion. In order to properly answer that question, you would need data from your payment processor, your CRM, and telemetry data from your application. In the past, business teams have had to wait for developers to build ETL pipelines to move data from one place to another. This is painful, time-consuming, and doesn’t keep up with the pace of the customer needs. Segment allows you to get all of this data in one place, automatically, and start using it immediately rather than spending time building data pipelines.
Who we are:
We're a small distributed team of full-stack engineers based in San Francisco and Vancouver who love to ship high-quality code.
From collecting data through to building powerful tools for data governance, to implementing algorithms that can handle complex billing scenarios at scale, to optimizing Sign Up conversion, the Gateway team is focused on creating a fantastic user experiences.
We're looking for talented engineers that are passionate about building world-class experiences that delight our customers.
How we work:
- We enjoy building UIs in React so much that we created our own internal components library.
- We believe in using the best tool for the job. We write customer facing features using React, NodeJS and GraphQL. Our write-heavy traffic services are written with Go and leverage multiple data storage solutions.
- We deploy our code multiple times per day. We "semver" everything :)
- We love conferences. (One of our engineers spoke in 4 different countries last year!)
- We love open source: https://open.segment.com
- We’re proud of the code we write, but we’re not dogmatic about methodologies or techniques. We believe building the "right thing" is more important than building things "right".
Who we're looking for:
You can turn complex business requirements into working software that our customers love to use.
- You're proud of the code you write, but you're also pragmatic.
- You know when it is time to refactor, and when it's time to ship.
- You're focused, driven and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
- You're empathetic, patient and love to help your teammates grow.
- You have experience running apps in production and take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring and error tracking.
A few projects you could be working on:
- We collaborated closely with our BizOps and Design team to rebuild all parts of our billing experience, from the customer’s first visit, to building a pricing simulator tool, to implementing algorithms that can handle complex billing scenarios at our scale.
- We’re building an of our UI library that saves our engineers multiple hours of work every week. Think pixel-perfect implementations by default .
- We used a to scale an analytics tool that handles thousands of requests / sec.
- We're building powerful tools that help our customers protect the integrity of their data, and the decisions they make with it.
- You have some familiarity with Golang or are excited to learn it.
- Minimum of 3 years of industry experience in engineering or some cool projects on GitHub you think we'll love to check out.
- You provide a deep understanding of the complexities involved in writing large single-page applications.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms.)
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, and promotions will happen based on qualifications for the positions being filled regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religious creed, color, national origin ancestry, age, physical disability, pregnancy, mental disability, or medical condition.