At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. We make this easy with a single platform that collects, stores and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. Our goal is to make using data easy, and we’re looking for people to join us on the journey. We are excited about building toward a world where engineers at other companies spend their time working on their core product, rather than spending nights and weekends tweaking their customer data into various formats for 3rd party tools.
We’re looking for software engineering generalists who are excited to jump between our frontend (mostly React/Node) and backend (mostly Go — we’re huge fans). Our small team is providing the data infrastructure for thousands of companies and processing billions of API calls every day. Our customer base has been exploding and our infrastructure doubling every six months, so we have a number of challenges on both the product and backend side.
Our customer data hub is helping companies achieve data nirvana, the blissful state you enter when all of your customer data is clean, complete, and accessible in your data warehouse and various analytics tools. Integrating with the Segment platform enables our customers and partners to a new class of analytics models and marketing automation experiences. Though we have already thousands of companies being built on top of our analytics platform, we’ve only penetrated less than 1% of the market. We are building toward a world where all customer data in the world is flowing through Segment.
What will you work on?
As a generalist, you’re likely to work on a number of different areas of the stack. Here are a few things that engineers have been working on and thinking about these past few months:
- Hear how Achille and Rick solved
- Read about the that Fouad launched (he also recently open-sourced !)
- Speaking of open source, we love sharing our work — check out the code for , , and of course (which sits at the core of our product)
- Read our CTO Calvin’s thoughts on the
- Check out how Guillaume and Ben made our sign-up process
- Use frontend technologies such as React, Webpack, Redux, and ES6 to build our product
- Use backend technologies such as AWS, Go, Node, Docker, Kafka, and Terraform to continue to scale our infrastructure
- Relentlessly focus on providing a reliable experience at extreme scale
- Relentlessly focus on driving business impact
- Relentlessly focus on providing a delightful product experience for every customer
- Write and teach what you learn to the world in the form of a
- CS Degree or equivalent knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Experience working on products with customer traction. This can be at a big company, a small company, or a side project!
- Expert knowledge developing and debugging in your favorite programming language. Seriously, anything is okay, but we’d like to see you shine!