At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. We make this easy with a single platform that collects, stores, filters, transforms, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. More recently, we also developed the ability to let customers enrich their data in real time using computations they specify. Our goal is to make it easy to understand, extract value, and protect the integrity of data. We are creating a world where engineers spend their time working on their core product, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to take over the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
Who we are:
We develop our product across a number of teams based in San Francisco and Vancouver, each with a particular product feature focus area. From collecting data through to building powerful tools for data governance, to implementing algorithms that can handle complex billing scenarios at scale, to visualizing our customers’ data flow through our pipelines, to making complex implementations manageable for our large enterprise customers, to optimizing Sign Up conversion, our product teams are focused on creating fantastic user experiences. We're looking for talented engineers that are passionate about building world-class experiences that delight our customers.
What We Do:
- We build customer-facing features using React, TypeScript, Apollo, GraphQL, and our open source component library:
- We implement high-performance data pipelines using Go and Kafka.
- We love finding the best tools for the job at hand, for example integrating for customer facing and internal statistics, and running and at scale.
- We have a culture of exceptional testing including unit testing, automated end-to-end testing, shadow deploys, game days, and high observability.
- We deploy our code multiple times per day using Docker, Terraform, and ECS, and have sophisticated feature flagging (built on ).
- We love open source: https://open.segment.com.
- We’re proud of the code we write, but we’re not dogmatic about methodologies or techniques. We believe building the "right thing" is more important than building things "right.” However, we take our customers’ dependence on our systems very seriously and strive to build highly performant and reliable software that are parts of our customers’ core infrastructure.
Who We're Looking For:
- You have experience building distributed systems that scale to tens or hundreds of thousands of RPS.
- You can lead engineering projects from start to finish, turning complex business requirements into working software our customers love to use.
- You know when it is time to refactor, and when it's time to ship.
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow.
Projects You Could Work On:
- Build powerful tools that help our customers protect the integrity of their data and the decisions they make with it.
- Build intelligent and configurable systems for identity management.
- Scale distributed systems and pipelines for streaming and batch processing.
- Experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Experience running and monitoring systems in production.
- CS or EE degree or relevant industry open source contributor experience.
- Great computing fundamentals and shown ability to write code that solves real problems using a statically typed programming language.
- Well-versed in concurrent programming.
- You have some familiarity with Golang or are excited to learn it.
- 2+ years of experience in a public cloud environment like AWS, GCP, or Azure.
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, and promotions will happen based on qualifications for the positions being filled regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religious creed, color, national origin ancestry, age, physical disability, pregnancy, mental disability, or medical condition.