At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. We make this easy with a single platform that collects, stores, filters, transforms, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch.
Segment’s product teams are building incredible new experiences to empower customers with their data. As a Design Systems Engineer at Segment, you’ll work alongside our team of world class designers and product engineers to blend design aesthetic and technical prowess. You’ll translate design concepts into innovative UI/UX solutions that blend design, technology, strategy, and customer value. You will drive our product engineering teams’ velocity and developer experience by building powerful design systems using industry best practices and technologies.
Does that sound interesting? Here’s more:
Who we are:
We develop our product across a number of geographically distributed teams including San Francisco (HQ), Vancouver, and remote in the USA, each with a particular product feature focus area. From collecting data through to building powerful tools for data governance, to implementing algorithms that can handle complex billing scenarios at scale, to visualizing our customers’ data flow through our pipelines, to making complex implementations manageable for our large enterprise customers, to optimizing Sign Up conversion, our product teams are focused on creating fantastic user experiences. We're looking for talented engineers who are passionate about building world-class experiences that delight our customers.
What we do:
- We enjoy building UIs in React so much that we created and open sourced our own component library:
- We believe in using the best tool for the job and incorporating an amazing developer experience.
- We deploy our code multiple times per day.
- We love conferences (one of our engineers spoke in 4 different countries last year!)
- We love open source: https://open.segment.com
- We’re proud of the code we write, but we’re not dogmatic about methodologies or techniques. We believe building the "right thing" is more important than building things "right". However, we take our customers’ dependence on our systems very seriously and strive to build highly performant and reliable software that are parts of our customers’ core infrastructure.
Who we’re looking for:
- You can turn complex design ideas into modular components that developers can use with ease.
- You’re proud of the code you write, but you’re also pragmatic.
- You know when it’s time to refactor, and when it’s time to ship.
- You’re focused, driven and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
- You’re empathetic, patient and love to help your teammates grow. We want you to create design system evangelists out of all of us and push us to improve our current design system.
- You have experience building world-class component libraries and take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great documentation, logging, monitoring, and error tracking.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll be building our design system and React component library. You will craft and deploy new components and tooling that will support designers and engineers in their daily work. Your efforts will be reflected across all of our products!
- You’ll create high-quality, reusable UI components and abstractions to provide our customers with an extraordinary world-class experience.
- You will work cross-functionally with design, product, and engineering to polish the product experience.
- You’ll be an ambassador for our design system, empowering designers and engineers to implement, adopt and contribute to our design system with great documentation, patterns, and tools.
- At least 3 years working as a frontend/ UI engineer.
- Extensive experience building components with HTML, CSS, and React.
- Experience building design systems or implementing new front-end architecture.
- Experience with TypeScript, continuous integration, build tooling.
- Passionate about design, excited about the prospect of making enterprise software not just beautiful but also… delightful!