Segment's Billing team currently resides inside our Growth pillar. To date, Billing development priorities focused predominantly on things like computing usage-based billing, showing customers their usage and costs in the our application and supporting internal stakeholders responsible for Billing-related processes. Our priorities were driven by a customer-first approach to Billing and provided a great experience to our customers.
As we grow, we have increasing compliance requirements. More recently, we decided to invest more into getting our billing systems into a state that would support us as we grow into a larger company. To deliver successfully on this, we have to strongly incorporate Finance's requirements into our already customer-centric view of Billing. This creates an opportunity for a team to deliver a united and consistent Billing systems architecture and customer experience which impacts many areas of the business. Making an amazing first hire in this role is absolutely critical to setting this team up for success.
Who we are looking for
As an early engineer on the Billing team, you will work in a small team with a large impact. This team owns the building and maintenance of a variety of systems which implement and support our Billing business logic and processes. These systems will integrate between a variety of internal and external systems, be the system of record for some of our most critical information and be expected to be highly reliable. In this role, you will interact with a variety of internal stakeholders (e.g. from Finance, Product, Engineering and Success) as well as external solution partners.
We are looking for team members with the following traits and experience:
- You have a strong focus on business impact.
- You are excited to lead the delivery of projects which deliver software systems solutions to business problems end-to-end.
- You write robust and production-ready code that we can depend on to function as expected.
- You have experience blending agile R&D environments with hard deadlines (e.g. Finance monthly close cycles).
- You can build effective relationships with stakeholders and guide their priorities based on implementation cost, risk and technical trade-offs.
- You are excited about mentoring less experienced engineers and provide them with clear technical direction.
- You can design and implement distributed systems solutions that are highly durable and (eventually) consistent.
- You are a pragmatic backend generalist who is able to choose the right tool for the right job.
- You can deal with change and ambiguity as we ramp up the team, define the charter and evolve our systems landscape.
What you get out of it
- A welcoming and collaborative environment with people who love working on hard problems.
- Work on a product experience that delights customers.
- Ownership of systems that deliver critical business impact.
- Contribute to the foundation and culture of a new team.
- Experience working cross-functionally and exposure to a variety of business functions, stakeholders and systems.
- Exceptional benefits and SF startup perks.
- 3+ years' experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language.
- Experience designing and implementing highly durable and eventually consistent fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services.
- Desired: Professional experience with Go, NodeJS and public cloud solutions.
- Desired: Experience designing and building systems that expose logic and process requirements to support public company audit requirements.
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.