At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
We’re growing incredibly fast — this is the perfect opportunity to roll up your sleeves and have a positive impact at a hyper-growth company. We’re looking for someone who is excited to join a team where they can proactively identify and implement systems and process improvements to help grow and scale the business.
What you’ll do
As the Director, Revenue you will lead the Revenue Operations and Technical Revenue Accounting functions for Segment. In this high impact role, you will work directly with executive and department leaders to implement systems, improve processes and establish accounting policies for our next stage of growth.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of accounting team to produce timely and accurate financial information for management and external reporting purposes
- Work closely with Deal Desk, Sales and Legal teams to support active deal negotiations and ensure alignment on revenue recognition impact
- Participate in cross-functional projects to drive company-wide initiatives, such as new product launches and updated pricing models, in order to maximize results
- Develop strategy for future system implementations and partner with technology operations team to build or improve existing accounting systems
- Create roadmap for implementing/improving processes and controls to scale the accounting function
- Own the creation and maintenance of revenue related policies, including championing cross-functional alignment
- Support audit processes and proactively communicate with auditors on accounting for complex revenue transactions
- Establish operational metrics and cadence for reporting
- Hire, manage and coach a strong, performance-oriented accounting organization, capable of growing with the business
You’re a great fit if…
- You have a bachelor’s degree in finance or a related field
- You have a CPA or equivalent certification
- You have a combination of 12+ years experience in public accounting and public SaaS company environments
- You have successfully grown and managed a team of proactive, talented accounting professionals
- You have demonstrated ability to effectively communicate to all levels
- You have strong experience in both US GAAP, operational accounting, and technical accounting (specifically ASC 605 & 606)
- You have strong analytical skills and the ability to research issues, make evaluations on problems and recommend viable solutions
- You are highly motivated, self-driven, and able to deal well with ambiguity
- You are a team player with a humble and positive attitude
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.