At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. We make this easy with a single platform that collects, stores, filters, transforms, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. Our goal is to make it easy to understand, extract value, and protect the integrity of data. We are creating a world where engineers spend their time working on their core product, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to take over the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
Who we are:
We develop our product across a number of teams based in San Francisco and Vancouver, each with a particular product feature focus area. From collecting data through to building powerful tools for data governance, to implementing algorithms that can handle complex billing scenarios at scale, to visualizing our customers’ data flow through our pipelines, to making complex implementations manageable for our large enterprise customers, to optimizing Sign Up conversion, our product teams are focused on creating fantastic user experiences. We're looking for talented engineers that are passionate about building world-class experiences that delight our customers.
What We Do:
- We implement and Kafka.
- We use a variety of data storage solutions such as Aurora, Redis and ClickHouse.
- We deploy our code multiple times per day using Docker, Terraform, and ECS.
- We build customer-facing features using React, TypeScript, Apollo, GraphQL, and our open source component library:
- We’re proud of the code we write, but we’re not dogmatic about methodologies or techniques. We believe building the "right thing" is more important than building things "right".However, we take our customers’ dependence on our systems very seriously and strive to build highly performant and reliable software that are parts of our customers’ core infrastructure.
- We love open source: https://open.segment.com and blogging about things we’ve been building:
- We built
- The team built a
- Read about how Amir
Who We're Looking For:
You can turn complex business requirements into working software that our customers love to use.
- You're proud of the code you write, but you're also pragmatic.
- You know when it is time to refactor, and when it's time to ship.
- You're focused, driven and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
- You're empathetic, patient and love to help your teammates grow.
- You have experience running apps in production and take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring and error tracking.
Projects You Could Work On:
- Building and scaling highly available real time and large-scale event processing pipelines
- Building powerful tools that help our customers protect the integrity of their data, and the decisions they make with it.
- Building tools to enable transforming data with flexibility.
- You have experience with a statically typed language of choice: Java, Golang, Rust, C, C++, etc.
- You have some familiarity with Golang or are excited to learn it.
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts.
- Well-versed in concurrent programming.
- Minimum of 3 years of industry experience in engineering or some cool projects on GitHub you think we'll love to check out.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- You value teamwork and agree with the statement that “a team is a group of people who own each others’ decisions”.
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure such as Amazon Web Services or Google Compute Platform.
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, and promotions will happen based on qualifications for the positions being filled regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religious creed, color, national origin ancestry, age, physical disability, pregnancy, mental disability, or medical condition.