The foundation team is opening a New York City office, and is looking for senior software engineers with a backend or systems focus to join the mission of bringing Segment engineering to NYC, and shaping the future of the company.
If you are passionate about systems engineering at scale and think being part of a ‘startup in a startup’ is an exciting opportunity, this may be for you!
Who we are:
Segment’s Foundation engineering team creates the core services that process billions of events/day for some of the worlds largest enterprises and most innovative startups. Our high-throughput low-latency pipelines process our customers’ most valuable data, so we have a passion for the highest quality engineering, testing, and operations. We often open source our solutions, support open source broadly, and give talks in public and private about our successes and learnings.
Here’s a peek into a few projects the foundation team has been working on:
- and recently , and then we
- gave a () for performance analysis and how we use it
- and team in our server-side destinations to improve our architecture
- We have hard challenges at scale and solve them thoughtfully like our
- and our
And a bit about Segment:
- and have
- We love and also support it with paid fellowships and sponsorship
- People love
- And we love talking about in public and
- We have a beautiful new office in midtown NYC
What we do:
- We implement high performance pipelines with Go, Kafka, Docker, Terraform and lots of other modern tools, we are heavy users of AWS and are expanding to other clouds
- We love finding the best tools for the job at hand, for example integrating for customer facing and internal statistics, and running and at scale
- We have a culture of exceptional testing including unit testing, automated end-to-end testing, shadow deploys, game days, and high observability
- We’re always deploying, and have sophisticated feature flagging (built on )
- We dog-food Segment to help ourselves move faster and guide our engineering and product
- We partner with our customers and exceptional embedded product leadership to ensure the work we do has impact with our customers and our engineering community
Who we are looking for:
- You are passionate about finding scalable solutions to challenging technical problems
- You are able to lead an engineering solution to a business problem end-to-end, and communicate it to engineers and customers
- You know when it’s time to refactor, and when it's time to ship
- You think being part of growing teams is fun, and love the early days of a startup (and also value the assets of a more mature startup)
What you get out of it:
- A welcoming and collaborative environment with people who love working on hard problems
- Help define the culture and the impact Segment Engineering can have in New York
- Work in a small office with engineers, sales, customer success, and others to collaboratively have a big impact across all of Segment & the industry
- Participate in many areas of office founding like hiring, team leadership, engineering leadership, customer interactions, community outreach, and more!
- The opportunity to give back to the community through open-source projects, blogging, conference talks, etc. and have great personal and career growth!
- Exceptional benefits and SF startup perks
- At least 5 years of engineering experience on backend systems
- Significant experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Significant experience testing and deploying systems to production
- Experience with large-scale event processing pipelines, preferably using streaming technologies
- Experience participating in hiring activities including interviewing
- Desired: Professional experience with Go, C++, and AWS/GCP/Azure
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.