At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
Who we are:
Segment is embarking on a brand revolution. We are taking Segment to the masses. Our mandate is to own this story and bring the value of Segment to life on our public properties for each and every new visitor. How do we engage prospects big and small with a clear compelling narrative on the value of Segment to their businesses? How do we optimize and personalize across the many different touch points we have with prospects to maximize for sign ups and new leads? How do we creatively use content to drive SEO that creates a long term organic growth path for segment?
The success of the business requires that we do two things amazingly well: build a scalable and highly performant website and have a crystal clear understanding of our website performance and customer behavior. Both of these things are delivered through world class infrastructure that this team will own and build.
Who we’re looking for:
- You are a Growth hacker. You are obsessed with driving the brand and selling the story of Segment. You are a mad scientist when it comes to conversion.
- You are an engineer. You will be responsible for building out the technical underpinnings powering all of our growth channels. You are a master of your craft.
- You are an artist. Beautiful user experience should not be a compromise for you.
- You are empathetic. Not everybody is able to experience Segment the same way. You build and design product to accommodate all needs.
- You are collaborative. You will work closely with the PM and Marketing teams to drive the brand. You are transparent and communicative with cross-functional teammates and stakeholders.
- You lead from the trenches. This will start as a split role between IC and people management.
- You are hungry. This is the biggest 0 → 1 opportunity inside of Segment. The opportunity for outside impact is immeasurable.
Who is a good candidate:
- A strong technical leader who is looking for a 0 → 1 opportunity.
- Previous experience growing a team of engineers, either as a Tech Lead or an Engineering Manager.
- Someone who has a background in Growth engineering or working with Marketing or other external stakeholders.
- Experience creating well-structured HTML and CSS that deliver high touch design. Effectively managing those UI elements across a team of engineers. Experience with “design system” approaches is a plus.
- Previous DevOps experience utilizing the cloud for massive uptime and lightning response times.
Nice to have:
- A background in building out headless CMS and templating solutions.
- Experience with the integration of email marketing with web/mobile growth loops.
- Previous experience working with external design and marketing agencies
- Familiarity with accessible design standards
- Previous startup experience
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.