At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
You are the rare breed of engineer that has found a passion for working with customers. You have a knack for building cohesive teams that have extreme technical acumen, but care first and foremost about solving customer problems. You are comfortable acting as the liaison between technical and non-technical audiences, and able to jump to a white-board to ensure the end-to-end design of a solution. As an operator, you’re able to manage the delicate art of setting customer expectations and then delivering on them in time and within budget. You love teaching others to do the same.
About the Role:
As the Solutions Architecture Manager - East, you’ll report to the Head of Solutions Architecture and manage the engagement based technical teams in the post-sales part of the customer journey. The main responsibility of the Solutions Architecture team is to ensure the timely and comprehensive onboarding of new customers onto the Segment platform to ensure they are set up to realize the business objectives that led them to sign up with us.
You’ll set the strategy for how we accomplish our goal of long-term happy and growing customers across a client base that ranges from small to enterprise. A major component of this strategy is our service model. Some customers need educational materials, a project plan and a checklist. Other customers need multi-phase, global deployment plans and custom applications. You’re excited to develop effective strategies to cover both types of customers. In addition, you’ll need to manage the transformation of our jack-of-all trades team into specialized organizations that deliver to customer expectations with scale in mind for one set of clients, and bespoke service for our strategic accounts.
This role is a critical connection point between our core engineering, product and design organization and customer success. The ability to forge deep relationships with colleagues and collaborate on complex organizational and customer issues should energize you.
You’ll be a critical leader in the success organization helping us build a global footprint across offices in New York and Dublin. You’re excited to join a leadership team of varied experience, helping to up-level both your direct reports, your peers (and manager!)
What you’ll do:
- Within 45 days
- Start hiring, on-boarding, coaching, and developing a growing international team
- Actively participate in strategic engagements with our customers, developing relationships with leadership counterparts, product leads, and other key decision-makers
- Manage operational reporting, ensuring adequate visibility of customer health. Intervene as necessary to ensure great outcomes
- Within 90 days
- Identify, scope and implement changes to improve teammate performance, happiness and customer outcomes
- Be an expert on the Segment platform architecture and begin to build command of the Segment integration ecosystem
- Rationalize and improve service offerings e.g., develop implementation methodology, service package components, oversee template improvement/creation
- Be an expert in key use cases in the Segment ecosystem and be a sought after technical advisor to internal and external teams.
- Be a major contributor to Success leaders when their organizations are undergoing major change, e.g. new product/service offering, customer segmentation
- Be an executive sponsor on strategic customer accounts
You’re a great fit if you…
- You have highly analytical and structured thinking
- You have meticulous operations and project management capabilities
- You have experience in the developer/API real-time communications space
- You have effective communication on complex topics, especially in written form
- You have a reputation with cross-functional teams as being innovative, accountable, and reliable
- You have 5+ years of relevant engineering, implementations and/or architecture experience, and 2+ years of people management experience in a fast growing company
Bonus Points: If these statements describe you, you’d be a great fit:
- I enjoy bringing intentional design and process to ambiguity
- It is exciting for me to reform and inspire teams to tackle emerging customer problems
- When I hear customer stories I am compelled to pick up a white board marker
- I want to teach and guide early career engineers and professional services teammates