Seeker exists where technology, innovation, and the future collide. We celebrate relentless curiosity with an insatiable drive to question, inspire, and create. Seeker Media connects with its audiences through daily videos published on YouTube, Facebook, and our own Seeker.com. We produce best-in-class science content, short documentaries and ground-breaking virtual reality experiences. Seeker Media is part of Group Nine Media and located in San Francisco, CA.
Seeker is looking for an experienced Producer to join the originals team. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a leading digital science media brand on a range of original video content, including short documentary-style series, studio shows and mixed media formats.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they are excellent storytellers with a knack for developing, writing and producing compelling and successful narratives for digital platforms like YouTube and Facebook Watch.
Candidates should have strong production experience with an aptitude for producing highly shareable, digital video. The right candidate will have a good editorial instinct, a high-level of creativity, and a comprehensive understanding of the production process at every stage.
As a science-focused brand, a strong background or proven interest and enthusiasm for all things STEM is preferred. Applicants should be able to confidently navigate and translate scientific studies into relatable content for a general audience, be it black holes, quantum computers or biomedical research!
Last but by no means least, candidates will also have a strong track record of leading, motivating, and inspiring a small team to deliver exceptional, significant and impactful stories.
This position is located in San Francisco, CA.
- Ability to produce content across various formats (studio, podcast, documentary)
- Uphold Seeker’s editorial standards and brand voice from pitch to delivery and push the envelope to create videos that both tell stories and educate
- Follow science news and updates daily, be able to comprehend and pitch story ideas
- Be comfortable reaching out, talking with, and interviewing scientists and engineers
- Evaluate and approve story ideas and pitches with team members and outside parties
- Lead script table reads and provide feedback on story structure, flow and accuracy
- Write, produce, QC and execute projects from start to finish with minimal supervision, on time and within budget
- Watch, review and provide both creative and technical notes on edits
- Highly skilled in managing multiple projects and priorities
- Create and manage show schedules, budget, resource plans and handle other administrative responsibilities as necessary
- Manage a small team comprised of an Associate Producer, Production Assistant and a roster of external, on-camera contributors
- Provide career guidance, support and create growth opportunities to direct reports
- Create an environment that fosters ideas, curiosity, and excitement for creative thinking
- Communicate brand & project goals, deadlines, and other information to team members, and internal/external stakeholders to ensure deliverables for all projects are met
- Leverage data-driven insights to grow audience, engagement and viewer retention across multiple media platforms, particularly YouTube and Facebook
- Lead on packaging brainstorms for titles and thumbnails for the teams content
- Partner with sales and branded content to to create and execute Ad opportunities within Seeker original content
- Assist in the development, planning and production of new Seeker properties
- Perform other duties as required
- Minimum 5 years of production experience with a minimum of 3 years of producing digital video content
- A minimum of 2 years experience managing a team of direct reports
- Background in science highly preferred
- A familiarity with scientific literature and the ability to translate of that into layman's terms is desirable
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- A leader, able to inspire and manage staff
- Demonstrable skill in managing multiple projects and priorities in order to meet tight deadlines
- Proactive thinking, the ability to anticipate problems, and problem solving under pressure is critical
- Good understanding of digital media trends and how audiences consume content across platforms
- Possess a demonstrable track record for growing digital audiences on YouTube and Facebook
- A highly creative and talented storyteller, able to turn their hand to any project big or small, with strict budgets.
- Should have experience in both studio, and field production
- Production skill-set should include, overseeing edits, conducting interviews, and directing talent
- Familiar and confident with directing shoots and editors, providing construction, creative feedback
- Experienced field producer
- A strong production all-rounder who can oversee projects end-to-end, on time, and within budget
- A full knowledge of digital production processes
- Proficient with Adobe editing software, preferred but not required
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 5 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.