We need an experienced Business Analyst to work with the Product Manager to understand development priorities for the app, then translate those requests into clearly defined work for the team.
About Secret Escapes
Secret Escapes is the UK’s biggest members-only website that runs best-in-market flash sales of four and five-star hotels and holidays worldwide. We offer our members exclusive rates of up to 60% off.
We're looking for grafters and self-starters to join the gang, who can keep up with the pace and want to make a difference. We still work in relatively small teams, so there's no room for coasting along. We're friendly, happy, and most importantly, we work hard. We're not afraid to get our hands dirty and we're all madly passionate about our brand.
Problems you’ll help us solve:
After a successful launch in January, Secret Escapes took delivery of our native iOS app from the agency contracted to create it, and we are transitioning the ongoing development to our newly-created App Team. We need an experienced Business Analyst to work with the Product Manager to understand development priorities for the app, then translate those requests into clearly defined work for the team.
- How can we remove the responsibility of designing all the solutions and interfacing with the development team from the Product Manager?
- How can we make the new App Team a high-performing, Agile, distributed team?
- How can we balance the need to refactor the code with the desire to implement valuable new mobile-only features?
- How can we effectively break down and estimate development effort and support the prioritisation process with useful insight?
Things you’ll be working on:
- Working with the Product Manager to understand their priorities and gather requirements
- Capturing requirements and designing solutions (together with UX and Engineering colleagues) with any relevant stakeholders
- Writing user stories with sufficient BDD and acceptance criteria to enable engineers to quickly pick up and execute new pieces of work
- Reviewing the completed engineering work to ensure it meets acceptance criteria
- Helping the team implement Agile processes & best practices
How the magic happens
The App Team is a newly-created, cross-functional team consisting of a Product Manager, UX Designer, and back-end engineering who are based in London, and two iOS Engineers (1 open) based in Berlin. The team use JIRA to capture user stories, Slack, Gmail, Google Docs suite, and other collaboration technologies to work together. We empower our teams to determine what processes work best for them and what tools they need to support their work, but we also have particular practices and tools that are mandatory (e.g. all teams track work in JIRA, all teams are expected to estimate effort).
The deal breakers:
- Experience as a Business Analyst for software products (mobile app experience preferred)
- Strong understanding of Agile principles and familiarity with how they can be applied
- Experience modelling business processes using a variety of tools and techniques
- Strong communication skills and facilitation experience
- Demonstrated ability to understand and explain issues from both a technical and a business functional point of view
- Writing story cards and narratives that are clear, concise, comprehensible, and that can be turned in to code and tests by the project Team
- Ensuring that business needs, requirements and their alignment with “big picture” goals and vision are communicated to development teams through effective story writing
- Proven ability to ensure quality outputs, ability to confirm work meets the requirements in all use cases
And you are…
- Excited by working with a team at the early stages of its development and shaping its development
- Like to get stuff done, not talk about getting stuff done
- Someone who can operate in a rapidly evolving environment without too much guidance
- A little quirky. Not enough to weird people out, but enough to be interesting
- Professional enough to know how to handle yourself, but not so much that you’re a robot
- Excited by working on something consumer-facing, used by real people
Things you should know
Everyone on the team is from a different country. Usually not the one they are living in.
We built our mobile app as quickly as we could, and now need to both scale it up and re-write it for scalability/compatibility with our architecture.
Our Product Manager is actually a Global Growth Lead in Marketing who needs to free up a significant portion of her time to manage another highly important strategic initiative.
We are an equal opportunity employer:
Diversity and inclusion are important to us at Secret Escapes and we encourage a culture where everyone can be themselves at work. We value and actively seek out a richly diverse range of talent and our policies ensure that every job application and employee is treated fairly, with equal opportunity to succeed. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by law.