ABOUT SECOND STAGE THEATER
Second Stage Theater produces work entirely by 21st century American playwrights both on and off Broadway. Dedicated to adventurous contemporary plays and musicals, bold new interpretations, and unique theatrical experiences, the work at Second Stage reflects diversity and inclusiveness. Through the discovery of emerging talent and the commissioning of new work, Second Stage nurtures future generations of theater artists and welcomes a theatergoing audience of all backgrounds.
The Associate Director, Development (Associate Director) is a self-directed and goal-driven fundraising professional who will serve as a core member of the Development Department. Reporting directly to the Director of Development, the Associate Director oversees all individual giving fundraising efforts for Second Stage and is tasked with expanding its individual major donor base of five- to seven-figure gifts. The ideal candidate will have significant experience as a front-line fundraiser, demonstrated success with major gift program creation and major gift solicitations, and strong managerial and communication skills.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and launch a vibrant and mission-driven Major Gifts Program
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Director of Development in instituting long-term planning for Individual Giving contributed revenue goals
- Run regular prospect meetings and oversee portfolios and strategy for Individual Giving
- Meet Second Stage’s contributed income goals for overall Individual Giving
- Oversee Individual Giving reports, tracking systems, schedules, and collateral
- Supervise and lead a growing Individual Giving team of fundraisers and support staff
- Cultivate and steward a portfolio of prospects and donors giving above the $12,500 level, and develop and implement engagement and solicitation plans for each of them
- Identify and encourage current Champions to join the Program and actively cultivate new individual donors at all levels
- Work with Special Events to create an exciting and unique set of experiences to encourage donors to deepen their relationship with 2ST
- Coordinate research for new individual and event donors as well as increased support from current donors
- Represent the Development Department at fundraising and cultivation events
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years of experience with increasing responsibility in development, preferably in a theater or other cultural/arts organization
- CFRE Certification preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A proven ability to develop and execute winning fundraising strategies and techniques, particularly in major gifts or capital campaigns
- Have the desire to “get out of the office” and build donor relationships, exhibiting follow-through on goals and opportunities
- A positive attitude, concern for other people and community, presence, self-confidence, and the ability to listen
- Knowledge of CRM software required, a knowledge of Tessitura strongly preferred
- An ardent theatergoer preferred, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about Second Stage’s history and mission
Compensation commensurate with experience
Benefits: Second Stage offers a full benefits package including vacation, medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance and long-term disability coverage upon eligibility.
Second Stage values diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Second Stage, visit www.2st.com.