ABOUT SECOND STAGE THEATER
Second Stage Theater produces work entirely by 21st century American playwrights both on and off Broadway. Dedicated to adventurous contemporary plays and musicals, bold new interpretations, and unique theatrical experiences, the work at Second Stage reflects diversity and inclusiveness. Through the discovery of emerging talent and the commissioning of new work, Second Stage nurtures future generations of theater artists and welcomes a theatergoing audience of all backgrounds.
The Director, Special Events (Director) is an experienced fundraiser and event producer who will serve as a core member of the Development department. Reporting to the Director of Development, the ideal candidate will be a creative self-starter and problem solver that can reinvigorate and rebuild the special events structure and team for Second Stage.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conceptualize and execute (virtual and, when safe and possible, in-person) fundraising and cultivation events
- Winter Fundraiser/Fall Benefit, Spring Gala, Annual All-Star Bowling Classic, Broadway and off-Broadway opening night celebrations, Cocktail parties with artists, Rehearsal room dinners, Board meetings, Script/book clubs and listening parties
- Represent the Development Department at fundraising and cultivation events
- Manage event logistics
- Outline and track annual event calendar
- Create and maintain event budgets
- Venue/vendor selection and negotiation
- Preparation of printed materials, including copy and coordination of design for invitations and other event collateral
- Strategize and create invitation lists
- Manage invitation mailings and RSVP process
- Drive solicitation efforts to meet and exceed fundraising goals
- Work with event chairs, leadership committees, and Trustees to broaden participation and increase event revenue through sponsorships, ticket sales, and other opportunities
- Track event revenue and expenses, including quarterly financial updates
- Manage a portfolio of current and prospective event donors
- Process gifts, as necessary
- Oversee event donor acknowledgements
- Work with Artistic Department to understand and fulfill vision and expectations for events
- Independently secure artists
- Coordinate hospitality needs for artists participating in fundraising events
- Create script and produce show-portion of fundraising events
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 8+ years of experience with increasing responsibility in fundraising and event planning, preferably in a theater or other cultural organization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A positive attitude, concern for other people and community, presence, self-confidence, and the ability to listen
- Excellent computer and fundraising database skills; knowledge of Tessitura strongly preferred
- An ardent theatergoer preferred; knowledgeable and enthusiastic about Second Stage’s history and mission
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Second Stage offers a full benefits package including vacation, medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance and long-term disability coverage upon eligibility.
Second Stage values diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Second Stage, visit www.2st.com.