About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team at the forefront of artificial intelligence and applied machine learning. Secondmind Labs is a team of 20 researchers and engineers that is providing internal expertise for our Decision Engine, and exploring innovative ideas that can improve our understanding of decision-making. In the past four years our team has published over 60 papers and filed 18 patents. Our main areas of expertise are probabilistic modelling, Bayesian optimisation, stochastic optimal control and reinforcement learning.
You will be working in highly collaborative research teams developing algorithms that are theoretically rigorous, yet scalable to domains of real-world complexity, and applying these tools to design new features of our Decision Engine product. This means lots of variety, and involves working on both client projects and internal product development. You'll have the opportunity to see your research directly used and built upon in our products.
What will you be responsible for?
You would be joining the Stochastic network control research team to help the team fulfill its mission by:
- Contributing to Stochastic network control research: develop novel ideas and principled algorithmic solutions, and publish in top ML conferences and journals. Publishing our findings is our way to contribute to the scientific community and to be recognised as experts in the field.
- Contributing to our toolboxes and making the latest technology available to our customer teams
- Supporting our customer engagements and product teams by providing internal expertise and designing innovative solutions for real customer problems in domains like automotive, supply chain management, and online education.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do you need to succeed in this role?
- PhD in a relevant area.
- Strong background in the fields of convex optimisation, stochastic optimal control, stochastic processes, and stochastic networks.
- Knowledge of probabilistic modelling techniques.
- Publications at top machine learning, control, or signal processing conferences and/or journals.
- Strong research drive and creativity.
- Passion to solve challenging real-life problems.
- Numerical programming (Python/NumPy/Tensorflow).
- Willingness to learn how to code according to the best software engineering practices.
- Willingness to work as part of a team, to review documents, designs and code done by others, and to provide constructive feedback.
- Passion to continuously develop your own machine learning and research skills, and to help others to improve theirs.
We are Secondmind (formerly PROWLER.io), born in 2016, with a mission to empower people to make better decisions. We are a cross-disciplinary team based in Cambridge, UK, a global centre of AI excellence.
You will be joining Secondmind Labs. Our origins lie in academic research, and it’s the foundation on which all our products are built. The team is led by our Chairman, Carl Rasmussen, Professor of Machine Learning at Cambridge University. Under his leadership, our team of researchers and engineers use proven mathematical principles to build scalable tools that solve problems in a range of businesses and sectors.
We take pride in our diversity, valuing the experience and expertise that people from different backgrounds bring to our organisation. Our company of approximately 100 talented people from all over the globe consists of over 20 different nationalities. We are collaborative, innovative, committed, optimistic, and curious.
We are on a mission to empower people to make better decisions. Because people powered by AI make better decisions.
Competitive salary, depending on experience. Stock options and comprehensive benefits.
Click here to view our Candidate Privacy Notice