Scribe Therapeutics is a molecular engineering company focused on creating best-in-class in vivo therapies that permanently treat the underlying cause of disease. Founded by CRISPR inventors and leading molecular engineers Benjamin Oakes, Brett Staahl, David Savage, and Jennifer Doudna, Scribe is overcoming the limitations of current genome editing technologies by developing custom engineered enzymes and delivery modalities as part of a proprietary, evergreen CRISPR by Design™ platform for CRISPR-based genetic medicine.
We are seeking a creative, passionate, and motivated individual to join us in our quest to develop the next generation of CRISPR-based therapeutics. The current role is for a Principal Scientist to lead our ongoing efforts to engineer highly active and specific CRISPR enzyme delivery systems. The candidate will be a leader with hands-on experience optimizing delivery systems, and will bring excellent management skills and solid technical expertise. The role will manage a team of scientists and research specialists, and interface collaboratively across functions and with external collaborators. The candidate should bring experience in engineering and a passion for creating tools to meet the challenge of this new frontier in genetic medicine.
The candidate will have numerous opportunities for professional growth in a rapidly growing biotechnology start-up.
- Lead a research team to advance our CRISPR-by-design platform through optimizing key characteristics of CRISPR delivery systems, including AAV and mRNA
- Oversee efforts to develop and execute pooled and arrayed screening for assessing critical characteristics of CRISPR delivery constructs in both pooled and arrayed formats.
- Develop strategy for assays for characterizing CRISPR delivery constructs such as cell type specificity & expression
- Collaborate across pre-clinical therapeutic groups in the company and externally to drive selection of optimized nucleic acid drug components
- Critically evaluate experiment data and communicate scientific findings as verbal presentations and written reports
- Develop and communicate research plans and timelines to the senior leadership team and external collaborators
- Enable effective collaboration to facilitate execution on projects within established timelines.
- Oversee and manage a motivated group of scientists and research associates
- Foster a driven, fast-paced, dynamic environment in which to do rigorous science
Required Skills and Background:
- A PhD in Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Synthetic Biology, Genetics or related discipline
- At least 8 years of experience working in an academic or industry lab, with a proven track record of expertise in molecular engineering, designing reporter systems, screening in human cells, and readout by FACS and NGS
- Expertise in AAV optimization, production, and characterization and/or optimization of mRNA delivery systems
- Experience in managing and leading teams of scientists
- Expertise in molecular biology, RNA and protein analysis (e.g. qPCR, RT-qPCR, Western, etc.)
- Demonstrated scientific productivity and drive as evidenced by a strong publication record in top journals
Preferred Skills and Background:
- Experience with CRISPR therapeutic approaches and delivery systems.
- Experience with functional genomics or next-generation sequencing approaches.
- Experience with computational tools for analysis of biological data.
- Working knowledge of statistics to enable the design and analysis of pooled screens with >10K library members.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. We will provide an intellectually stimulating, collegial and fast-paced environment. If you are ready to engineer the future of therapeutics, then we are excited to hear from you! Visit us at www.scribetx.com.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
At the time of posting, the base pay wage range for this role is $150,000-$190,000 per year. The offered pay range will depend on internal equity and the candidate’s relevant skills, experience, qualifications, training, and market data. Additional incentives are provided as part of the complete package in addition to comprehensive medical and other benefits.