Vice President of Discovery Biology
Scribe Therapeutics is a molecular engineering company focused on creating best-in-class in vivo therapies that permanently treat the underlying cause of disease. Founded by CRISPR inventors and leading molecular engineers Benjamin Oakes, Brett Staahl, David Savage, and Jennifer Doudna, Scribe is overcoming the limitations of current genome editing technologies by developing custom engineered enzymes and delivery modalities as part of a proprietary, evergreen CRISPR by Design™ platform for CRISPR-based genetic medicine.
We are seeking a highly creative, passionate, and motivated individual to join us in our quest to develop the next generation of CRISPR-based therapeutics. The current role is for a Vice-President of Biology to join our team and advance our platform.
The candidate should have a passion for working collaboratively with biologists and bioengineers to enable building the necessary tools for meeting the new frontier of CRISPR-based therapeutics. Additionally, the candidate would bring expertise in Drug Discovery and Development in designing, executing and interpreting experiments in compliance with appropriate global regulatory guidance
- Lead the discovery research teams and strategy to successfully bring programs from target identification and validation through lead optimization and to the clinic; be a key leader in prioritization of programs targeting a variety of genetic targets.
- Refine therapeutic workstreams and candidate evaluation strategies across integrated teams from early-stage discovery to IND.
- Establish a roadmap and build capabilities to achieve balanced infrastructure leveraging both internal expertise and external resources and drive internal and external execution of research programs, including leveraging CROs
- Provide key insights and oversight of early target prioritization cross team functionalization and disease/indication expansion.
- Promote strong scientific excellence and foster an open culture of ideation, innovation, and deep scientific rigor.
- Contribute to deliver and present key data packages and data-driven scientific updates to the organization that impact pipeline milestones including Study Report sections, regulatory submissions, internal and external scientific updates such as abstracts/manuscripts for publication.
- Lead the expansion of the Drug Discovery team, recruiting key talent and managing, developing, and mentoring team members providing clear scientific guidance and accountability to the team to continue their growth
- Define overall strategies for highly innovative drug discovery programs from target ID to hit identification, lead selection, and candidate nomination
- Build cross-functional projects teams and develop project team leaders that work across disciplines, including Research, Discovery, Translational Groups, and CMC
- Work closely with our Research groups to convert new science into new targets and advance drug discovery programs
- Responsible for departmental administration; including budget with cost of experiments, technology, and external collaborations.
Required Skills and Background:
- Advanced knowledge of drug discovery and development to advise Program Leads in designing, executing and interpreting experiments in compliance with appropriate global regulatory guidance.
- Doctorate (Ph.D.) + >15yrs experience in drug discovery (i.e. target identification and validation, drug candidate screening and nomination of drug development candidates for initiation of pharmacology and/or toxicology studies. .
- Experience with the preparation of regulatory submissions (IND/CTDs, NDA/BLA, etc.) and communicating/interacting with health authorities desirable
- Experience in the design, conduct, and interpretation of GLP or non-GLP non clinical in vitro studies.
- Experience in the development and characterization of specialty in vivo pharmacology models to generate proof-of-concept data supporting nomination of drug candidates.
- Outstanding mentoring and leadership ability
- Balance of strategic thinking and “roll up your sleeves” approach to drug discovery with a track record of bringing drug development candidates from Discovery to Development
- Deep understanding of in vitro assay development including biochemical, biophysical, and cellular assays
- Effective communication that enables clear, concise, and compelling messaging
Preferred Skills and Background:
- Familiarity with CRISPR technologies and therapeutic approaches is strongly desired
- Familiarity with protein or RNA structure and engineering approaches
Salary will be commensurate with experience. We will provide an intellectually stimulating, collegial and fast-paced environment. If you are ready to engineer the future of therapeutics, then we are excited to hear from you! Visit us at www.scribetx.com.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
At the time of posting, the base pay wage range for this role will vary per year. The offered pay range will depend on internal equity and the candidate’s relevant skills, experience, qualifications, training, and market data. Additional incentives are provided as part of the complete package in addition to comprehensive medical and other benefits.