theScore, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment , empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app ‘theScore’ is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. theScore’s sports betting app ‘theScore Bet Sportsbook & Casino’ delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting and iCasino experience. theScore Bet is currently live in the Company's home province of Ontario. theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social and esports platforms.
About the Role & Team
As part of the theScore team, you will be working with a distributed team of smart, friendly, and dedicated Engineers, Product Managers and Designers determined to deliver some of the best apps the market has to offer. We want you to be challenged and to get the full experience of what it’s like to work at theScore!
The vegas trading team builds and maintains a key component of our platform. We develop tools for our internal traders to manage our risk and exposure as bets are being placed. We integrate with third parties and the rest of the platform to ingest, in real time, market and wager data. Our team operates with very rigorous constraints around latency, throughput and up-time.
About the Work
As a key member of our vegas trading team you will:
- Work with our preferred technology stack of Elixir, Phoenix, and LiveView.
- We use Phoenix LiveView to build our admin portal and Commanded to support an event sourced architecture.
- Ensure appropriate monitoring and alerting is in place (we’re heavy DataDog users).
- Build internal web tools in Phoenix and LiveView to help other employees visualize and debug our data and systems.
- Participate in the design, architecture, and delivery of new features in a collaborative agile/scrum environment.
- Deploy services and applications to Google Cloud.
- Participate in our on-call rotation so that we can triage critical issues during off-business hours.
- Other duties as required.
In your role as a Senior Engineer, you’ll also be impacting technical work outside of the Trading team:
- Identify issues and opportunities within our tech platform and create plans to tackle them.
- Lead discussions and meetings around technical decisions that span multiple teams.
- Set an example for other engineers by collaborating across teams.
- Be a partner to the tech lead and engineering manager in helping set the direction of the team.
- Demonstrate proficiency of the team’s primary tech stack, tooling, and architecture such that you can implement ideas and lead wide-ranging projects effectively.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, distributed systems, and software design.
- Passionate about clean code architecture and software craftsmanship.
- Experience with modern web framework and API development
- Experience with Git and GitHub or similar.
- A strong grasp and experience with relational databases; including PostgreSQL and MySQL.
- Comfortable working in the terminal.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes.
- Proficiency within an editor of your choice.
- Experience with testing frameworks such as ExUnit, RSpec, Jest, pytest or equivalent.
- Experience working with profiling tools.
- Knowledge and familiarity with caching strategies and tools.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation package
- Fun, relaxed work environment
- Education and conference reimbursements.
- Parental leave top up
- Opportunities for career progression and mentoring others
theScore is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.