Science 37 is accelerating the research and development of breakthrough biomedical treatments by bringing clinical trials to patients' homes. Backed by venture investors such as Glynn Capital, Google Ventures, Redmile Group, dRx Capital and Lux Capital, we are seeking a razor-sharp Manager of Patient Recruitment eager to make an impact within a mission-driven organization changing the world of clinical research.
The Manager of Patient Recruitment engages in all recruitment and retention efforts, based on compliance with the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Clinical Practices (GCP), regulatory guidelines, and all best practices. This individual will successfully execute a recruitment and retention analytical strategy for the launch and full campaign lifecycle of each assigned clinical trial. In addition, the Manager will design, develop, and implement operational efficiencies to help recruit patients faster and within budget.
The Manager of Patient Recruitment will develop recruitment/retention strategies and tactics, including early stage recruitment feasibility analyses, forecasting enrollment and budget . This individual is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive, recruitment/retention strategic analytical plan to directly recruit /retain patients into clinical trials across digital and non-digital channels (EHR, Advocacy Groups, Direct-to-Physician outreach, Media placement). The Manager of Patient Recruitment will work collaboratively with Marketing and internal/external cross-functional teams.
Leadership and Expertise
The Manager of Patient Recruitment is knowledgeable and well-informed of developing trends in the industry, enabling continuous improvement and the ability to offer cutting edge solutions. In addition, the Manager will lead and empower the Patient Recruitment Team members to drive process innovation and excellence at all levels of the trial lifecycle.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Sets and oversees the execution of an aggressive and comprehensive recruitment/retention analytical strategic plan for clinical trial recruitment.
- Responsible for delivering on time, on budget and inscope, to drive business performance and achieve performance targets specifically related to clinical trial recruitment.
- Provides a launch and full life cycle strategy with input from key stakeholders to provide oversight on platform recommendations, budget/bid recommendations, image and content recommendations.
- Responsible for working with key stakeholders including Clinical Operations, Medical Affairs, and Marketing teams to develop content to support clinical trial recruitment. This includes, but is not limited to providing input as needed on: landing pages, emails to potential clinical trial participants, surveys, upcoming trial announcements to relevant populations, ads for IRB approval, and pre-trial screeners.
- Responsible for managing overall trial strategy to continually improve and drive efficiencies throughout the recruitment campaign.
- Stays current on leading industry trends that will impact strategies in trial recruitment and effectively applies knowledge.
- Works with Recruitment Team and vendors to listen and interpret the voice of patients and customers. This includes consulting on all patient persona development for every trial, include comprehensive prevalence mapping, and behavior profile mapping of patient personas.
- Responsible for selecting and directing agencies and vendors for advancing clinical trial recruitment, as needed.
- Effectively collaborates with partners, consultants, and vendors to enable efficient and effective tactical execution of recruitment/retention and patient advocacy capabilities.
- Builds an internal culture of innovative thinking that leads to the development and implementation of the company's patient recruitment/retention mission and vision.
- Works with internal and external teams to evaluate and integrate innovative technologies for the successful acquisition of patients.
- Works collaboratively with other department heads as an advisor for communication related to clinical trial recruitment.
- Effectively communicates the recruitment strategy to executive management, senior leadership and team members.
- Conducts performance reviews, calibration sessions and feedback discussions for direct reports. Performs competency assessments across his/her team, and implements and monitors development plans with direct reports.
- Oversees and mentors and/or assists in coaching and training departmental team members.
- Manage and proactively escalate project issues and risks.
- Identify appropriate and relevant patient recruitment/retention opportunities to ensure that Science 37 is moving forward organizational initiatives and objectives.
- Manage project financial tasks and tracking, payments and contracts related to all recruitment activities.
- Participate and manage vendor RFPs; in collaboration with team, assist with selection of best fit vendor solution for project.
- Develop monthly enrollment and budget projections, at a quick turnaround time during RFP bidding process.
- Ensure project specific feedback as well as aggregate/analyzed feedback overtime is compiled and shared with pertinent internal/external team members, and utilized to improve patient recruitment/retention.
- Establishes and sets standards, policies, procedures and guidelines for patient interactional inbound/outbound calls related to recruitment/retention. Analyze operations of patient contact during pre-screening/screening process and oversees any efficiency improvements to develop quantifiable and qualifiable expectations and standards.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Life Sciences or related fields
- 6+ years of relevant industry experience in clinical operations and/or patient recruitment/retention
- Knowledge and work experience in clinical trial and pharmaceutical industries.
- Demonstrate high degree of leadership skills that allow the individual to influence all levels of the organization and make positive change.
- Proven track record of delivering results and meeting targets
- Able to maintain confidentiality with HIPAA guidelines, patient information and other sensitive information
- Display excellent verbal and written communication skills
Skills and Competencies
- Patient recruitment and retention - Demonstrates ability to successfully manage patient recruitment and retention of clinical research trials, think critically, problem solve proactively, and be able to follow-through until delivery.
- Interpretation of data analytics - Ability to interpret a data driven recruitment/retention strategic plan through the utilization of analytics, and proactively refine to adapt to study changing needs. Learn through testing and analysing.
- Value creation - Expertise in data analysis, to drive critical decision making into thoughtful action.
- Knowledge of field organizational strategies - Proven ability to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment. Successful decentralized team management and situational responsive decision-making.
- Expert knowledge of clinical research – Expertise in the drug development process and the critical elements for success in clinical trials, with previous participation in and contribution to these activities. Ability to review and assist in the development of protocols, programs, and assess the risks and requirements related to enrollment.
- Team management and collaborative capabilities - Demonstrated experience in building and guiding organizational teams. Commitment to collaboration, within and across departments. Leverages each team member's unique background and perspective to achieve team goals while providing clear direction and accountabilities.
- Strong motivational and influential skills – Ability to motivate, influence and guide team members and direct reports; gains commitments from others.
- Strong communication and presentation skills - Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with sponsor, project team members and internal Science37 study staff and management. Ability to conduct effective presentations.
- Problem solving – Ability to quickly and proactively identify problems, formulate and execute solutions, and evaluate the impact of solutions. Strong conceptual thinking and ability to optimize work processes. Problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- Computer skills - Working knowledge of MS Office suite and Google applications. Able to generate business correspondence, create forms and generate reports as required. Willingness to gain expertise in the use of proprietary software.
- Practices professionalism and integrity in all actions – Demonstrated ability to foster concepts of teamwork, cooperation, self- control, and flexibility in all areas of work. The ability to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment. Able to successfully work as a matrix in a decentralized team environment. Skilled in situational responsive decision-making
- Ability to educate – Able to communicate with and educate CRCs, monitors, clinical staff and other stakeholders on recruitment and retention strategic and tactical plans.
- Organizational Skills – Ability to multitask and prioritize, factoring in the timelines, budget and internal/external input. High level of attention to detail, both design and copy accuracy. Excellent planning, prioritization, management, and organizational skills.
- Leadership – Communicates and exhibits leadership behavior consistent with the company-wide keystone focus. Ability to have difficult/crucial conversations. Understands interpersonal and group dynamics and has a range of interpersonal skills and approached with ability to select a best fit-approach. Entrepreneurial team player with strong focus on collaboration and ability to direct work. Ability to motivate, influence and guide team members and direct reports; gains commitments from others. Strong mentoring and relationship building skills with ability to effectively manage team and interpersonal conflict situations.
- Ability to communicate in English (both verbal and written)
The incumbent reports to the Director, Patient Recruitment, who will also assign projects, provide general direction and guidance. Incumbent is expected to perform duties and responsibilities with minimal supervision.
The position may have direct reports in the future, hence direct line management experience is desirable.
Science 37 values the well-being of its employees and aims to provide team members with everything they need to succeed. Enjoy healthy catered lunches, snacks and beverages, and top-notch equipment such as the latest Macbook Pro, 4k monitors, and adjustable standing desks. Submit your resume to apply!