Science is an early stage company developing technologies for a range of serious unmet medical needs. We are unafraid to take difficult technical risks, secure in the knowledge that with a clear understanding of what we are doing and with support from powerful modern tools, more progress is possible than might be immediately obvious. Regardless of role or team, the two most important factors we look for in a candidate are evidence of exceptional ability and the addition of positive energy to the group. As a small, very early stage team in a largely unstructured environment, the ability to independently orient yourself to the problems that need to be solved and then follow through is essential.
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer who will be responsible for developing our device, benchtop and surgical fixtures and supporting tool development. You will work closely with a number of teams including microfabrication, biological and surgical teams so great communication skills and the ability to understand technical languages you are not familiar with is a must. You will need to work not only at the macroscale but also think about precision and resolution at the microscale. This is a hands on position where you will be expected to understand a requirement, build a design and fabricate it the fastest way possible - whether that is hands on yourself or by building a network of 3rd party resources.
- Designing and building biological testing equipment and platforms
- Building custom surgical or medical equipment
- Helping to modify or build new fabrication tools
- Designing implantable systems
- 4+ years experience of mechanical design experience
- Strong fluency in at least one CAD software package
- Experience with tolerances tighter than ~50 microns
- Mechanical simulation and calculation experience (ie FEA)
- Rapid prototyping experience
- Strong hands-on abilities with machining
- Strong communication skills
- Experience with robotics and automation
- Experience with microcontrollers and programming
- Working knowledge of CNC
- Understanding of thermal simulation
- Experience working with a variety of materials, including plastics, metals and glass
- Experience working with surgical or biological requirements
Science Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Science will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.