Medicinal Chemistry Scientist
Schrödinger’s mission is to revolutionise drug discovery through the use of breakthrough computational methods. We are currently looking for outstanding individuals to join our drug discovery group and contribute to our rapidly expanding portfolio of drug discovery collaborations.
Our drug discovery group of around 100 scientists includes designers, modellers, computational chemists, medicinal chemists, crystallographers, biochemists, and biologists with experience working on all common target classes and therapeutic areas. The group is supported by more than 100 software developers and engineers as well as a large scale computing infrastructure. Four of the programs we’ve worked on in the past 7 years have progressed into the clinic; two are still progressing through trials and two have been approved by the FDA.
We are looking for a highly motivated synthetic organic chemist to join our team of scientists to advance drug discovery projects driven by cutting-edge computational methods in structure-based drug discovery. The ideal candidate will be an expert in modern methods of organic synthesis and hands-on experience in planning and execution of multi-step synthesis of complex heterocycles and/or natural products.
- Provide synthetic chemistry expertise and actively collaborate with computational chemists, medicinal chemists, biologists and other scientists in drug discovery projects
- Design and optimise synthetic routes for small molecule targets emerging from next generation modelling approaches
- Manage CRO-based synthesis efforts to access small molecule targets
- Contribute to evaluation of new drug target opportunities
- Work closely with the internal software development teams to improve Schrödinger’s drug discovery technologies
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Synthetic Organic Chemistry with postdoctoral training (preferred) and 4+ years of relevant experience (Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry, CRO, or other relevant experience).
- Expert knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry and strong track record of planning and hands-on execution of multi-step synthesis. Extensive experience in the synthesis of heterocycles and drug-like compounds and/or complex natural products.
- Proficient in interpretation of analytical methods for compound characterisations (1D and 2D NMR, LC/MS, and other analytical techniques).
- Demonstrated track record of innovative solutions to research problems and delivering on project goals
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, and presentation)
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience in medicinal chemistry
- Experience with outsourcing synthetic chemistry via CRO’s
- Experience with structure-based drug design (SBDD) and collaborating with molecular modelers on drug discovery programs
- Exposure to one or more other disciplines of relevance to drug discovery, such as computational chemistry, biology, pharmacology, DMPK, toxicology, formulation, biochemistry, physical chemistry or analytical chemistry