We are looking to hire a Senior Principal Scientist/Director of Translational Oncology to join us in our mission to discover and develop drugs that improve human health through the use of breakthrough computational methods. We are seeking outstanding individuals to join our drug discovery group and contribute to our rapidly expanding portfolio of drug discovery programs and collaborations.
Our drug discovery and early clinical development team includes a cross-functional group of scientists and drug developers with experience working on all common target classes and therapeutic areas. The group is supported by more than 100 software developers and engineers as well as a large-scale compute infrastructure to apply our proprietary physics-based drug design and optimization platform. Ten of the programs we have worked on have progressed into preclinical development with four currently in clinical trials and one approved by the FDA.
The successful candidate will have a track record of innovative and collaborative research, demonstrated through project milestone delivery and peer-reviewed publications. The successful candidate is expected to be involved in significant interaction and collaboration within the company and with external KOLs/partners/CROs to provide support on translational biology activities and guide project transition from preclinical drug discovery towards clinical development for advanced oncology programs.
- Lead the biology and pharmacology for oncology small molecule discovery programs
- Guide research strategies and experimentation with a focus on in vivo pharmacology, translational biomarker identification and translational pharmacology
- Lead interactions with CROs and KOLs as a disease biology expert on cross functional discovery teams
- Provide scientific leadership in the area of oncology, including identification of therapeutic target opportunities that are a fit for Schrödinger’s proprietary computational platform
- Collaborate with clinical and translational science colleagues to define and validate preclinical and clinical biomarkers and pharmacology approaches
- Support the IND submission package for candidate molecules advancing from preclinical to clinical setting
- Stay informed on trends and emerging developments regarding research and development in the related oncology field
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. in cancer biology or related field with 5+ years industry oncology drug discovery experience, preferable in small molecule drug discovery
- In-depth knowledge/understanding of cancer pathways, cellular and animal models across solid tumor and/or hematologic malignancies, as well as various mechanisms of therapeutic response and resistance
- Experience in the identification and validation of translational biomarkers in support of drug development programs
- Experience in managing external studies at CROs and academic collaborators including monitoring study execution and ensuring finalization of study reports within set timelines
- Demonstrated success as a lead biologist advancing novel scientific discoveries through discovery and supporting mechanism of action insights in drug discovery and/or clinical development
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills
- Skilled at working in a multidisciplinary environment
- Proven record of innovative thinking to propose and champion new ideas and solve problems
- Comfortable working across a number of disease areas and able to shift gears quickly
- Must be open to change and the unknown with a creative and resourceful nature; a self-starter, proactive and results-oriented with high performance standards