We are seeking a Vice President / Senior Vice President, Head of Therapeutics Business Development to join us in our mission to discover and develop drugs that improve human health through the use of breakthrough computational methods. We are seeking outstanding individuals to join our drug discovery group and contribute to our rapidly expanding portfolio of drug discovery programs and collaborations.
Our drug discovery and early clinical development team includes a cross-functional group of scientists and drug developers with experience working on all common target classes and therapeutic areas. The group is supported by more than 100 software developers and engineers as well as a large-scale computer infrastructure to apply our proprietary physics-based drug design and optimization platform. Ten of the programs we’ve worked on with collaborators have progressed into preclinical development with four currently in clinical trials.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Head of Business Development to join our Drug Discovery and Development team. The successful applicant will report to the Executive Vice President, Head of Drug Discovery Research and Early Development. The purpose of this role is to lead all BD&L efforts including search & evaluation, transactions, contract management and out-licensing for Schrödinger's drug discovery group. This role will prosecute opportunities ranging from in-licensing, out-licensing, academic and commercial partnerships, and clinical trial collaborations, to supporting M&A deals in conjunction with corporate teams. The successful candidate will also be a key contributor to the strategy for the growth of our drug discovery and early development business and partnership opportunities.
- Responsible for leading BD&L efforts for Drug Discovery & Development including Search & Evaluation, Negotiations, Due Diligence and Contract Management.
- Accountable for complex term sheet and agreement structuring and negotiations across a broad range of transactions, including in-licensing, out-licensing, co-development, co-commercialization and profit share arrangements, academic collaborations and other strategic discovery and clinical stage agreements
- Interface with key stakeholders including discovery, development and competitive intelligence teams to implement the external partnering strategy. Collaborate with other business development colleagues to design partnering structures tailored to the profile of each envisioned collaboration.
- Accountable for managing the BD&L deal processes utilizing strong project management skills to ensure that key risks and opportunities are identified, captured, and presented to senior management for alignment and decision making.
- Build and maintain a broad network of relationships with senior stakeholders of current and potential partners worldwide.
- Effective intra- and inter divisional stakeholder management (e.g drug discovery and development,, legal, finance, alliance management and executive leadership).
- Proactively monitor the external business environment and maintain a knowledge base of licensing transactions and other company activities
- Accountable for tracking opportunities and reporting progress of projects via database application and BD dashboard tools
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Over ten years of experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry with prior background in business development and related biopharma experience required, including pharmaceutical/biotech R&D, pharmaceutical/biotech equity analysis.
- A track record of success in driving significant and complex in-licensing and out-licensing business development opportunities to execution in the discovery, clinical and commercial arenas; proven ability to drive and execute on multiple deals simultaneously. Please submit a deal sheet as part of the application.
- Ph.D., M.D. or equivalent degree is preferred; a Master’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline plus over ten years relevant professional experience is acceptable
- Demonstrated clinical, biological/pharmacological research, or professional experience with a deep understanding of the drug discovery, development, regulatory approval, and commercialization processes is required to help drive internal BD strategy and support meaningful discussions externally with Pharma/Biotech executives
- Experience leading teams and influencing cross-functional groups, including members of senior leadership
- A well-established business development network within the biopharmaceutical industry is strongly preferred
- Creative and strategic problem-solving skills, with experience with a variety of deal structures. Results oriented self-starter with the ability to deliver high quality and timely deliverables
- Strong knowledge of industry trends and competitive issues related to pharmaceutical business development
- Excellent organizational, writing, communication and time management skills needed to manage multiple ongoing projects simultaneously
- Outstanding presentation, data interpretation and communication skills and a track record of public presentations at scientific and partnering meetings
- Skilled at working in a multidisciplinary and project team-based environment.
- Experience in alliance management
- The successful candidate will be a self-starter who is proactive and results-oriented with high performance standards
- Comfortable working across a number of disease areas and able to shift gears quickly
- Must be open to change and the unknown with a creative and resourceful spirit.
Travel and Working conditions
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 10-15% travel
- Flexible in-office / remote work schedules