Who We Are:
School in the Square (S2) is a fast-growing charter school currently serving elementary and middle school students, with plans to serve families from Pre-K through High School by 2023. S2 engages, educates and empowers its students to respond mindfully and creatively to life’s opportunities and challenges. Drawing its name from the concept of the public square or “la placita”, S2 is where communities come together to solve problems and celebrate successes. Here, students, families and educators are seen, heard, and inspired. S2 students build the academic foundations, social-emotional intelligence, and the leadership skills necessary to excel in college and professional life. Our community is grounded in principles of justice, equity, diversity and inclusivity (JEDI), enacting a culturally responsive and sustaining lens to our pedagogical practice and consistently examining the ways we can continue to walk firmly in the pursuit of social justice and against injustice of any kind. S2 provides a progressive and rigorous learning community in which students thrive physically, emotionally, and academically through differentiated and personalized education and adults grow through rich and robust professional development.
We take seriously our obligation as an anchor institution in our community. We understand that our students’ ability to learn is directly impacted by their access to basic needs. Through our Family Support Program, we support over 200 families every month with bimonthly food pantries and other essential services, including internet hotspots and rent relief.
Our Middle School:
We believe a culture of care leads to a culture of achievement. Our middle school is located in Washington Heights where our programs are designed with students' personal interests and learning styles in mind. S2’s program is dedicated to providing each student with the tools and support to become lifelong learners. That includes embracing that 89% of S2 families are Hispanic or Latinx.
Our Middle School Special Education Social Studies Teacher:
We are looking for a dedicated, mission-aligned Special Education Social Studies Teacher who both loves and respects our children. Reporting to our Principal and in collaboration with a diverse and committed School Leadership Team (SLT), you will support our efforts to ensure high academic standards while also focusing on the social-emotional needs of all students. If you have a deep belief that all students can thrive in a challenging, high-quality, nurturing and supportive learning environment, we would love to hear from you.
Who You Are:
- Skilled in current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, with knowledge of co-teaching strategies and differentiation to meet individual student needs
- Capacity to plan, organize, and coordinate full inclusion; evaluate and analyze complex problems, issues, and concerns; recommend appropriate alternative solutions
- Knowledgeable of special education laws and requirements
- Knowledgeable of the principles, practices and trends impacting programs; techniques and procedures regarding curriculum and instruction design and delivery systems for both special education and core curriculum; human relationships, conflict resolution strategies and procedures; and team building methods and techniques
- A strategic, solutions-focused thinker with strong communication and planning skills
- A strong relationship builder, you get personal fulfillment by teaching and coaching adolescents in both academic and non-instructional situations, respecting and encouraging student effort
- Familiar with restorative practices, a strong believer in anti racism education, culturally responsive and sustaining pedagogy, trauma informed practices
- Self-reflective with the capacity to accept and implement feedback to improve instruction
- A graduate of a Master’s Degree in Education program in relevant content area and possess a valid New York State Special Education or Students w/ Disabilities Certification
- Experienced as a full-time effective, impactful classroom teacher with a minimum of three years in a middle school. Experience in an urban charter school setting is strongly preferred
Expected salary range for this role is $60,000 - $100,000, depending on experience, level of education, required certifications, internal equity, and the budgeted amount for the role.
What You Can Expect From Us:
At S2 we take as much care of our teachers and staff as we do of our students. S2 is committed to supporting our teachers by helping them build sustainable, rewarding careers that center on each educator’s passions and multi-disciplinary interests. All of our faculty and staff are valued professionals and we are proud to provide extended planning time, team-building and collaboration, comfortable and friendly working conditions, and more to ensure our team members all have the tools they need to succeed.
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, S2 provides ultra competitive salaries including opportunities for supplemental compensation, an excellent benefits package with employer paid life insurance, a 401K program with a 6% organizational match, longevity bonus, generous paid time off, access to a federal student loan debt reduction program and a friendly work environment.
Anyone who joins our team must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
School in the Square understands specific groups are subject to marginalization. We believe these powerful groups should be centered in our community and are highly encouraged to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.