Who We Are:
School in the Square (S2) is a fast-growing charter school currently serving elementary and middle school students, with plans to serve families from Pre-K - 12 with the opening of a high school with 9th grade in Fall, 2023. S2 engages, educates and empowers its students to respond mindfully and creatively to life’s opportunities and challenges. Drawing its name from the concept of the public square or “la placita”, our mantra is “Relationships First”. S2 is where communities come together to solve problems and celebrate successes. Here, students, families and educators are seen, heard, and inspired. S2 students build the academic foundations, social-emotional intelligence, and the leadership skills necessary to excel in college and professional life. Our community is grounded in principles of justice, equity, diversity and inclusivity (JEDI), enacting a culturally responsive and sustaining lens to our pedagogical practice and consistently examining the ways we can continue to walk firmly in the pursuit of social justice and against injustice of any kind. S2 provides a progressive and rigorous learning community in which students thrive physically, emotionally, and academically through differentiated and personalized education and adults grow through rich and robust professional development.
We take seriously our obligation as an anchor institution in our community. We understand that our students’ ability to learn is directly impacted by their access to basic needs. Through our Family Support Program, we support over 200 families every month with bimonthly food pantries and other essential services, including internet hotspots and rent relief.
Our Middle School
We believe a culture of care leads to a culture of achievement. Our middle school is located in Washington Heights where our programs are designed with students' personal interests and learning styles in mind. S2’s program is dedicated to providing each student with the tools and support to become lifelong learners. That includes embracing that 89% of S2 families are Hispanic or Latinx.
Food & Facilities Associate Responsibilities Include:
School Foods Coordination
- Set up and distribute breakfast, lunch, and snack
- Accurately track student meals daily
- Ensure that all meals are kept at a safe and appropriate temperature
- Maintain order and cleanliness in the cafeteria during student lunch period
Facilities, Maintenance, and Cleaning
- Perform any necessary custodial duties to keep the school clean (e.g. taking out trash, cleaning spills and messes)
- Protect students, staff, and visitors from safety hazards by shoveling walks, lining hallways with rugs, posting hazard signs, etc.
- Service, clean, and supply restrooms.
- Set up, arrange, and remove decorations, tables, chairs, ladders, and scaffolding to prepare facilities for events such as banquets and meetings.
- Assist with all school-related clerical tasks (e.g. filing documents)
- Provide telephone coverage in the front office, as needed
- Copy and distribute or file administrative and instructional materials, as required.
- Support main office operations as needed by making copies, stuffing mailings, etc.
- Other duties, as assigned by the administrative staff
Who You Are:
- A strong relationship builder and excellent communicator
- Self-reflective with the capacity to accept and implement feedback to improve performance
- Possess a valid New York State Food Handler’s Certificate
- Proactive and work well independently as well as on a team
- Detail-oriented, organized and resourceful
- Experience in an urban charter school setting is preferred
- Fluent in Spanish (required)
- Able to work Monday through Friday 9:30am - 2pm
What You Can Expect From Us:
At S2 we take as much care of our teachers and staff as we do of our students. S2 is committed to supporting our teachers by helping them build sustainable, rewarding careers that center on each educator’s passions and multi-disciplinary interests. All of our faculty and staff are valued professionals and we are proud to provide extended planning time, team-building and collaboration, comfortable and friendly working conditions, and more to ensure our team members all have the tools they need to succeed.
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, S2 provides ultra competitive salaries including opportunities for supplemental compensation, an excellent benefits package with employer paid life insurance, a 401K program with a 6% organizational match, longevity bonus, generous paid time off, access to a federal student loan debt reduction program and a friendly work environment.
Anyone who joins our team must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including having obtained the booster.
School in the Square understands specific groups are subject to marginalization. We believe these powerful groups should be centered in our community and are highly encouraged to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.