We are looking an exceptional engineer and who would be excited to be responsible for building the hardware that will lead the industry into the new era of edge computing. You should enjoy making the engineering tradeoffs between cost, performance, energy efficiency and serviceability that building great servers and storage systems requires. If collaborating with Product Management, Software Engineering, Operations, and Customer Support to lead projects to select, qualify, and validate new hardware platforms sounds like fun, you're well fit for this position. You will be a key hardware expert at Scale, so you should be passionate about following industry trends, keeping up to date with cutting edge technologies, and sharing your vision of the future with others.
- Own, organize, and advance all hardware selection and qualification projects for next generation server/storage platforms.
- Participate in the definition of new platform hardware roadmap for Scale appliance models and OEMs within the constraints of price and product margin targets, including reviewing the latest technologies, proposing new solutions, and prototyping solutions ahead of the curve.
- Collaborate with the software team to develop automated hardware qualification test suites, run the tests, and interpret the results.
- Evaluate and qualify motherboards, memory, CPUs, add-on cards, chassis components, and thermal/power for deployment in a wide range of environments.
- Evaluate and qualify BIOS, controller, firmware, and device drivers, then follow shipping versions for required updates and work with the software team to deploy required updates.
- Collaborate with the software team to resolve hardware/software interaction issues.
- Collaborate with the software, operations, and manufacturing teams to develop automated hardware tests for manufacturing and refurb processes.
- Select and qualify alternative source components (SSD, HDD, DIMM, PCIe cards, etc.).
- Manage relationships with suppliers with a focus on product life cycle and component roadmaps.
- Sustaining Support for currently shipping platforms.
- Work with Support & Sales teams on customer escalated hardware issues.
- Provide HW support and failure analysis for field returns.
- Bachelor's degree in CS, or EE, or related field or equivalent industry experience
- 5+ years industry experience
- Thorough understanding of modern x86 server architectures, storage, and networking technologies (NUMA, PCIe, NVMe, SSD, SATA, SAS, RAID, NIC).
- Good understanding of BIOS, EFI, BMC, IPMI.
- Strong scripting and automation skills.
- Great verbal communication & collaboration skills.
Other useful skills/experience
- Virtualization technologies
- Non-data center environments/ruggedized systems
- Clustered and/or distributed systems