Do you want to work with high caliber professionals in a dynamic and growing company? Are you entrepreneurial, hard-working, and collegial? Are you committed to advancing the clean energy revolution? Join us at SB Energy, the renewable energy company of SoftBank Group. Our vision is to become the global leader of the energy transition to clean sources of power.
SB Energy develops, constructs, and owns and operates some of the largest and most technically advanced renewable projects across the United States, with Headquarters in San Francisco, CA. The company was formed in 2015 as a subsidiary of Japanese multinational conglomerate SoftBank Group Corp. SB Energy entered the United States energy market in 2019 through the acquisition of 5 contracted utility-scale solar projects, bringing its contracted development pipeline to 1.7 gigawatts (GW) of renewable energy projects in the US. In 2020, SB Energy started construction on these 5 new solar projects across California and Texas, created 10,000+ direct and indirect jobs, and will power 330,000+ homes when all 5 projects are complete.
SB Energy also collaborates across the SoftBank ecosystem of companies to innovate solutions for the power industry, including making investments in next-generation energy technologies such as iron-based battery company ESS, Inc. Come join us in accelerating the energy transition to cleaner, more sustainable sources of power!
The Performance Engineer will be responsible for creating performance models to assist SB Energy in the development, commissioning, and operations of its fleet of solar and battery storage assets. The models will utilize SB Energy’s operating data as well as industry-leading modeling techniques and strategies. The position will report to the Sr. Manager of Development and Performance Engineering.
- Work with 3rd party partners and internal asset managers to support optimization of operational asset performance.
- Leverage operating data to refine accuracy of pre-construction solar and BESS energy estimates.
- Understand business objectives and develop models that help to achieve them, along with metrics to track their progress.
- Support site commissioning and initial site data quality performance testing, including capacity testing of crystalline, thin-film, and bifacial modules.
- Create and maintain energy estimate and commissioning tool base.
- Perform analysis required to select and maintain best-in-class meteorological sensors.
- Support engineering team in plant design and optimization exercises.
- Interface with 3rd party suppliers of meteorological data and perform site-specific tuning studies.
- Understand probabilistic nature of solar and battery assets, and utilize operating data to refine internal long-term production probability cases for solar and BESS assets.
- Support SBE Innovations team to test and validate new technologies and services.
- Stay appraised of industry developments and modeling techniques by attending webinars and conferences.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field.
- 7+ years of experience within solar industry, with a focus on utility scale PV projects.
- 5+ years of experience with solar operating data and performance evaluation.
- Experience with ASTM 2848 and other industry standard performance tests.
- Expertise in solar modeling software (PVsyst, SAM, PlantPredict, etc.).
- Experience modeling battery energy storage systems.
- Programming experience (Python preferred, experience with pvlib library a plus) .
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Looking for long-term growth potential within a company.
Location: San Francisco / Bay Area, CA preferred
The position requires up to 15% domestic and international travels (once normal travel requirements resume)