Do you want to work with high caliber professionals in a dynamic and growing company? Are you entrepreneurial, hard-working, and collegial? Are you committed to advancing the clean energy revolution? Join us at SB Energy, the renewable energy company of SoftBank Group. Our vision is to become the global leader of the energy transition to clean sources of power.
SB Energy develops, constructs, and owns and operates some of the largest and most technically advanced renewable projects across the United States, with Headquarters in San Francisco, CA. The company was formed in 2015 as a subsidiary of Japanese multinational conglomerate SoftBank Group Corp. SB Energy entered the United States energy market in 2019 through the acquisition of 5 contracted utility-scale solar projects, bringing its contracted development pipeline to 1.7 gigawatts (GW) of renewable energy projects in the US. In 2020, SB Energy started construction on these 5 new solar projects across California and Texas, created 10,000+ direct and indirect jobs, and will power 330,000+ homes when all 5 projects are complete.
SB Energy also collaborates across the SoftBank ecosystem of companies to innovate solutions for the power industry, including making investments in next-generation energy technologies such as iron-based battery company ESS, Inc. Come join us in accelerating the energy transition to cleaner, more sustainable sources of power!
The Operations Engineer will oversee the daily operation and optimization of a rapidly growing portfolio of utility-scale PV plants. The successful candidate will perform continuous real-time monitoring of Solar Facility performance, energy yield, and output. The Operations Engineer will work closely with Plant Operators and Engineers to ensure plant production is maximized and work cross functionally with internal Operations teams. They will also lead the creation of SOPs for the maintenance, monitoring, and repair of utility-scale PV. This position reports to the Director of O&M.
- Closely monitor the day-to-day operation of multiple 250MW to 500MW solar power plants throughout the US.
- Demonstrate a thorough and complete knowledge and understanding of plant operations procedures, including troubleshooting.
- Manage Corrective and Preventative Maintenance Logs and all other project specific quality control reports to ensure accuracy and detailed records.
- Respond to DAS Alerts, System Alarms, and abnormal facility conditions by alerting appropriate parties.
- Act as point of contact for field technicians, remote plant operators, utilities, and transmission operators regarding performance, control, and schedules for solar facilities.
- Responsible for maintaining availability levels at each solar facility.
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting of solar facility performance.
- Compile data as needed depending on the nature of the issues, work independently and or with the performance engineering team to complete data analysis of underperforming systems.
- Lead the digital asset onboarding of Handover-Turnover (HOTO) during project hand-off to O&M.
- Assist NERC Compliance Manager with O&P and CIP procedures and evidence creation.
- Develop alarm management strategies and refine alarms across all plants.
- Track work orders in the CMMS system through completion to ensure equipment maintenance and repairs is completed in a timely manner.
- Prioritize maintenance and repairs to maximize the production of the facility.
- Have previously performed the above duties and responsibilities for utility-scale solar projects (experience in California or Texas markets preferred).
- BS in technical field of study. An Associate or Trade degree with Professional Experience can be considered in lieu of a BS or higher degree.
- Experience with PVSyst software.
- Experience with operation of SCADA, DAS and UPS systems. Experience with GE Cimplicity, Ignition + CanaryLabs preferred.
- Experience with logging into inverter and tracker manufactures software to perform a deep-dive analysis on equipment performance.
- Experience with PV maintenance, including DC systems, AC medium voltage systems, and network communications and monitoring.
- In-depth knowledge in the domain of renewable energy systems preferred, especially solar and battery energy storage.
- Diagnostic capabilities to troubleshoot and correct problems found via DAS.
- Ability to read and understand electrical single-line and three-line diagrams.
- Experience working with a CMMS platform (preferably for power generation facility).
- Expertise in Quality Tools, MS Office Suite, MS Project, and other project management tools.
- Analytical skills and problem-solving capability, self-motivated with a desire to learn and grow.
Location: Redwood City, CA preferred but not required. Open to remote work.
If remote, the position would require up to 25% domestic travel (once normal and safe travel requirements resume).