Satellogic aims to capture every square meter of the Earth's surface to derive insights and enable better decision making for industries, governments, and individuals. Addressing some of humanity’s most pressing challenges, such as providing food or distributing energy for nine billion people without depleting resources, requires real-time planet-scale data. Satellogic has created small, inexpensive satellites, that transmit real-time data and images back home. Our constellation already has several high-resolution satellites in orbit and is growing to 300 in the next few years to provide new insights about our planet.
The ideal candidate is a curious engineer, with lots of initiative, that provides the strategic direction and technological leadership for our team of mechanics and thermal engineers. The successful candidate will be responsible for understanding design requirements, coordinating mechanical design, preparing design reviews, and presenting engineering designs and recommendations at Engineering internal reviews. The position requires the leader to understand tasks from the pre-proposal phase through conceptual design, preliminary and critical design, build, integration, test, and delivery of complex products.
- Complete layout, design, and documentation of complex designs and assemblies.
- Assist and train engineers with design changes and manufacturability exercising independent discretion.
- Assign, track, and review the work of designers & drafters.
- Develop and use best practices relative to modeling, drawing creation, and methods needed to convey technical information to manufacturing and to suppliers; enforce documentation & quality standards
- Motivate, develop, and direct designers and drafters as they work, identifying the best individuals for the job
- Prepare engineering designs using appropriate calculations, and convert them into technical documentation package.
- Do design studies/analyses, research and development, specification, configuration management, document control, fabrication, assembly and simulation, and modeling.
- Provide design guidance and consideration to other teams on power applications against their design requirements
- Lead the management of subcontractors required for the development of parts and components.
Skills and Qualifications
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in mechanical/structural engineering required or similar.
- At least 5 to 10 years of experience as a Mechanical Engineer in a high-tech environment.
- Experience with drafting design principles, precise positioning, and dynamic behavior.
- Experience working in a dynamic multi-disciplined engineering environment
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable to others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with content management systems and version control.
- Self-direction, flexibility, and an eagerness to learn.
Satellogic values diversity and inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.