Head of Optical Payload Systems
The Head of the Optical Payload Systems team is responsible for the complete lifecycle of the image products Satellogic delivers to its customers, based on LEO satellites taking images of the planet.
The Optical Payload Systems’ tasks range from requirements gathering - which include not only performance and operability, but also work with the satellite factory plant for productization maintainability and scalability; high level design taking into account all of the satellite’s subsystem interfaces; project feasibility and execution tracking; to lead concurrent engineering efforts with internal or external vendors and engineering teams such as optics, mechanics, electronics and software production teams; complete prototyping along with all relevant test phases - thermal, optomechanical and environmental related tests - both in the factory and on orbit, and then supervise productization and technical transfer to the manufacturing plant for mass production; design, tracking and support for operations; and finally high level design, implementation tracking and continuous operations of the image processing pipeline with focus on quality and throughput.
In this role, you will:
- Work concurrently with spacecraft system engineers (thermal, structures, AOCS, comms, etc) with focus on meeting quality and throughput requirements for geolocated, orthorectified, top of the atmosphere calibrated imagery for L1 products.
- Manage a team of product owners which are responsible for each of the components of the Optical Payload Systems - telescopes and other optical elements, high resolution stabilized cameras, and the image processing factory pipeline.
- Establish and supervise the team’s roadmap, for every generation of satellite’s optical payload - both current generation which is under production and future generation that is under design and prototyping, and the next ones to come.
- Coordinate the efforts of the product owners and the engineering services which execute the projects from high level design up to prototyping, factory and in-orbit testing, productization and support until decommissioning.
- Manage the team’s budget and staffing.
What we value:
- MSc degree in spacecraft systems engineering, aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, optics, physics, or other related discipline.
- Three years experience with hands-on space-borne optical systems, or three years experience with non-space optical systems together with three years of experience with spacecraft systems engineering.
- Three years experience managing teams tasked with hardware R&D projects or hardware production.
- Demonstrated experience in project planning, coordination and execution.
- Demonstrated experience in team sizing and human resources hiring, training and development.
- Good english communication skills are mandatory.
- Availability to travel on a short notice.
Satellogic values diversity and inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.