Title: 2020 AR UX Prototyping Intern
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Mobile Platform Solutions
Location: Mountain View, CA
Overview: Samsung Research America (SRA) plays a pivotal role in developing the next generation of discovery in software, user experience and services for future products that can enrich your life.
Our mission is to research and develop new technologies by partnering with the best and brightest and creating a collaborative environment between industry and academia. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, with locations in many technology centers in North America, SRA is driven to build a culture of innovation that rapidly translates research and new ideas into the unexpected.
Come and get real world experience developing innovative solutions at a global leader in the mobile revolution! Samsung internships enhance your academic goals by providing the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and apply learned theory on real commercial projects.
Are you passionate about transforming bleeding-edge technologies into products and services that will impact millions in our daily lives? At Mobile Platform Solutions (MPS), we are looking for a passionate AR UX Prototyping Intern to share their creative vision and to build applications and services for Samsung's array of devices spanning mobile phones, speakers, wearables, etc. In this position, you will join a collaborative team of world-class researchers, designers, and engineers in the field of AI/ML, Fintech, blockchain, IAM & IOT technologies, with emphasis on computer vision, AR/VR/XR, Enterprise AI, mobile security, and privacy.
Come join the Samsung MPS team and be a leader in bringing futuristic services to life!
The AR UX Prototyping Intern will work with the XR Design Group inside MPS to create designs and prototypes for next generation applications. You will create proof of concept prototypes to showcase new product directions, features, and interactions. You will participate in discussions with other team members for other projects. You strike a balance between a designer and engineer. You can create new ideas that will resonate with consumers, but can also open Unity and make your ideas tangible. You will work with designers to refine your designs and engineers to refine your code.
We are specifically looking for someone who will work well within our team and someone who can bring in a new background outside of our team’s current strengths.
- Design and develop new interactions, applications, and platform features that are in line with business objectives.
- Start ideation with sketches and move ideas into interactive prototypes in Unity.
- Communicate with team to identify new opportunities and challenges.
- Work closely with your coworkers to create the next generation of human-computer interaction.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a design discipline, human-computer interaction, games, or computer science. Can either be a current student or recently graduated.
- 1+ years working on AR/VR projects or products, either in school or industry.
- 2+ years programming experience in Unity.
- Able to work with designers, engineers, researchers, and product managers.
- Able to navigate ambiguous, shifting requirements in a fast paced environment.
- Able to show at least one relevant project that has well developed visuals, interactions, product direction, or all three.
- Able to provide personal portfolio and websites
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Master’s degree in a design discipline, human-computer interaction, games, or computer science.
- Experience with at least one AR headset, especially if you’ve designed and built for them.
- Familiarity with a 3D modeling tool (e.g. Blender, Maya, AR/VR native tools).
- Familiarity working with a framework such as VRTK or MRTK.
- Familiarity with user testing in AR or VR.
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace.