Title: Hardware / Electronics Engineer Intern
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team is an interdisciplinary collective of researchers, designers, scientists and engineers located in Mountain View, CA. Our mandate is to explore what’s next for Samsung by applying bleeding-edge advances in software, machine learning, computer-human interaction, sensor and display technologies to solve real-world challenges that will transform users’ experiences in ways we can only just glimpse on the horizon today.
TTT began as a small team in 2012 and brought its first concept -- the Samsung Gear watch -- to market one year later. Since then we have released several projects such as the Beyond 3D/360/4k camera for AR/VR cinematography, the BotChef cooking robot, the Ballie personalized companion, and others. We work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science and applying it to create new products and experiences that will impact the lives of millions.
Our team members represent a diverse skillset, including electrical engineering, computer engineering, signal processing, machine learning, computer vision, visual design, interaction design, industrial design, optics, physics, and more from institutions such as MIT, Caltech, Stanford, CMU, Oxford and others. We believe that the best way to show is to design and build prototypes, and that the best products come from teams collaborating to understand and solve a problem from multiple perspectives. We believe that design and creativity are core duties of every member of our team.
As HW Engineer intern, you will:
- Build prototypes of cutting-edge sensors and systems.
- Solve tough engineering problems working closely with engineers, designers, and scientists from multiple fields.
- Learn continuously, and often about completely new and unexpected topics.
You must be passionate about creating new devices and technologies, and ready to learn on the fly, solve complex problems, work closely with others, and creatively approach design and engineering tasks at all scales. We believe a person’s work speaks for itself, and welcome everyone with the right drive, attitude, and skills.
- BS/MS in Electrical, Physics, Computing engineering, related applied science field, or interchangeably, a portfolio of interesting projects.
- Experience in building combined hardware + software systems.
- Have strong background and interest in building hardware
- Ability to design and implement analog, digital, and high-speed circuit design.
- Proficient with industry standard PCB design tools for schematics and pcb layout.
- Rapid prototyping skills (both hardware and firmware), preferably across multiple platforms.
- Proficient in firmware programming (C/C++).
- Proficient with system software on embedded devices
- Proficient with ARM based processors, micro-controllers, and various communications protocols such as I2C, UART, SPI, USB, MIPI, I2S, etc.
- Experience with board bring up and systems debugging tools such as bus analyzers, oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers.
- Problem solver, “can do”, ”get any task done” attitude
- Interest in diverse tools and technologies.
- Familiarity in one or more modeling and simulation tools such as Spice/MATLAB/Python/etc.
- Experience in at least one software programming language (python, java, etc.).
- A portfolio or project page a strong plus.
If this is something you would love to do, let us know. Show us what you have built, and tell us what you would like to build next!
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace.